Clunk

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jake2970_*

Guest_Jake2970_*

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:39 PM

Here is the deal Just bought a 88 Ford B2 on Saterday.. Gots to say i love it but I think the U joints or ball joints might be going on it.. Every time i hit the breaks i get a clunk in the front end..Also going down the road the roof seems to flex and pop ??? Any help from the guru's would be great..

Jake

1st time B2 owner
my truck eats doge and craps out chevy
88 B2
2.9l
all stock
bought for $1,000.00 yesterday
Ford for life

#2 Ranger429

Ranger429

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

If it is occuring only during braking I would look at the caliper mount's and make sure they are not worn out or loose. As far as the roof popping or flexing, was the vehicle in a bad wreck?
Posted Image
79 Bronco Ranger XLT 400 4" lift 33" BF's KC Lights
79 F250 Ranger XLT '70 429 Thunderjet, balanced and blueprinted, mild cam, DOVE head's with roller rockers, stealth intake, holley 770, Dana 60 F+R with 4.10's, Custom 6" lift and 36" Fun Country radials

Did FORD still make a truck after 79?

#3 Guest_Jake2970_*

Guest_Jake2970_*

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:05 AM

have no idea about the roof or if it had been in a accident hell i havent owned the truck a week yet lol...
i will definetly check the brakes the engine has just been rebuilt and the guy just got me the paper work profetional job by a reputable company here in denver

Love this ford

Jake

#4 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:38 PM

Sounds like something in the rotational areas that's worn or loose.
An alignment shop should be able to help pinpoint the source, whether it's u-joints or other items.

Also, the roof problem.. does it occur at certain speeds?

I used to drive a shop truck (f-250) that had a bad vibration issue at speeds above 45 mph in the roof.
It was a non headlined roof with a ladder bar on the back that extended over the roof.
The bar would disrupt the wind and make it slam onto the roof hard and noisy.
Solution - removed the section over the roof with a porta-band :)
I doubt you have a ladder bar on yours, but if it has anything that can disrupt the wind, such as a light bar thats too far forward, it may have the same effect.

#5 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:05 PM

Check the busings in the sway bars, radius arm ets. look at or take off the shocks and see if it goes away.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#6 Guest_Windchaser_*

Guest_Windchaser_*

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:22 AM

Tie Rod. That was my problem. $-)

#7 Guest_Jake2970_*

Guest_Jake2970_*

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:55 AM

what a mess lol blew out the rear drive shaft cv joint still havent figured out the clunk and found and fixed the roof problem
roof: support beams started sagging away from the roof itself so a deadblow and some J-B weld no more pop just had to remove the head liner...
gonna check the front end over hub to hub today seems to do it only when i apply the breakes and i am turning slightly right

thanks guys

Jake

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users