10 replies to this topic

#1 Vlen

Vlen

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:50 PM

Hi, first of all let me say im glad i found these forums as it seems like you guys really know your stuff! I have an '85 F-150 with the 300 straight six in it, and im looking to swap the engine out with an older 302 v8. The donor engine is of an unknown year (it was recently rebuilt and swapped into a '75 ford, but the rest of the truck is almost gone at this point) but i do know that it must be fairly old due to the fact that it is a carb engine and theres not a bunch of wiring crap on it :P The tranny in the donor truck is a four speed manual out of a mustang supposedly, once again the model is not known to me at this point, but i can find out soon hopefully. I have a 3 speed with overdrive in my truck with a hydraulic clutch (another possible problem?). What i want to know is if anyone knows of any kits that would include the possible hardware for this type of conversion (engine mounts etc.) or if this conversion is even feasable without a huge headache. Any info would be helpful, and im sorry i was so general with the engine and tranny types on the donor vehicle. Thanks!

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:03 PM

If you have a duraspark II ignition system, and I think you do, then from a wiring point of view, it shouldn't be a problem since that was a fairly basic electronic ignition system. Check the bell housing and see if the bolt pattern is the same. Get a set of engine mounts for the 302. You might have to change the radiator, the 302 has the top hose on the seft and the bottom hose on the right.

Does the ignition on the 302 have points in the distributor or a pickup?

You can get the year of the engine from the casting numbers on the block. It will look something like C5AE - 6015 - A. C = decade, in this case 1960-69); 5 = Year, (in this case = 65); A = Car line , (A = Ford, T = truck, etc.), E = Engineering group (in this case Engine), followed by basic part number and revision level. There may also be a casting date code in smaller print just under and on the right side of the part number which indicates when the engine block was actually cast.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:50 PM

another part you will have to change is the mounting bracket the engine mounts attach to. You probably can get all these parts out of the old truck.

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 Vlen

Vlen

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:50 PM

Thanks so much for your help! So the mounts and/or mounting brackets will be transferrable between a '75 F-100 and an '85 F-150? And one other thing to bother you with, is there a similar serial code pattern i could look for on the tranny to find the year/make/model? Thanks again, Vlen

#5 Vlen

Vlen

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:49 AM

I got the cast number off of the engine, and it appears to be out of a '66. the number is C6(6)E-3425-B, i put the second 6 in parenthesis because im not sure what model this would be, as it could have been a "G" or maybe something similar to a 6. either way, if seabronc or anyone else knows where i can acquire some parts, specifically headers, that would fit a '66 302, id be pleased if theyd let me know. :D

#6 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

After market will enterchange between almost all year ranges on the 302. As far as the tranny if it came off of a 300-6cyl,302,or 351w you can use it in you're truck.
GOT MUD?

#7 Vlen

Vlen

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:04 AM

I know it seems like i have endless questions, but i have one more here. According to the serial coding above, im assuming that the "G" would stand for a galaxie as to what car the engine came out of. However, I don't know that the galaxie had the 302 engine in 1966, because its not listed under the model types on several parts pages i've been on. Could this engine actually be a 289 (it doesnt look large enough to be one of the big block engines) and if so, is there an easy way to tell?

Let this be a lesson to everyone, dont trust what people say about an engine until you've verified it yourself! :wacko:

#8 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:20 PM

Look just under the drivers side head on the back of the block and see if there is another number.
This can give some insight also as it can tell us what it came out of and narrow it down.

Edited to say -
What I found on some of my ford spec sites, in 66, it would be a 289 as I don't show any 302s in any ford at that time. 1968 is where I see the 302 being introduced.

#9 Guest_chopaz_*

Guest_chopaz_*

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:28 PM

If you are not sure of the year in 65 they had a 5 bolt bellhousing. Later they went to a narrow 6 bolt patern.

#10 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

Sorry, missed the question you asked about the (6). that position only has alpha characters (A,D,G,J,M,O,S,T,V,W,Z). So I would guess it is a G. G was for Comet, Montego, Cyclone. Aatleast that is what my book says. Like BigN says, according to the chronology of Ford engines that I have, the 302 didn't show up till 68. The 66 engines were 289 90V which came in three versions 2V 200HP, 4V 225 HP, and 4V 271 HP/ Hi Perf. 289's were dropped after 68. All others in 68 were FE series big blocks.

Don't know where you can get headers for it, try a google search on (289 +headers) no brackets.

God luck

#11 Vlen

Vlen

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, from now on it looks like ill be asking questions about a 66 289, not a 302 ;) Once i get the engine pulled ill be able to tell which 289 that it is. thanks again. B)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users