Project Ideas

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

Here's the scoop...I own an '85 Bronco II with a 2.8L V6 (need more power), automatic transmission (no true 4x4 enthusiast would be caught dead in an auto) and a 7.5" rear diff with 4:10 gears (bah! 7.5"??). I'm not really a Ford guy so I'm posting this in an attempt to determine if the gear train I'm thinking of sticking in this little truck is plausable or not. Will the components work with eachother? Will this setup fit in this machine? I ain't the expert and won't pretend to be....That's why I am here.

In the end I would like to have the following :

- 302ci V8 engine (from a 1975 - 1985 car/truck)
- T5 5 speed manual transmission (from a 1983-89 Mustang V8)
- Divorced NP205 transfercase (from a 1970's 4x4 truck)
- Ford 9" rear differential @ 4.56:1 (Limited Slip or possibly with a locker installed)
- Wider rear axle (axle choice yet to be determined)
- Convert the twin I-beam front suspension to a straight axle & leaf spring suspension.
- Ford 9" front differential @ 4.56:1 (Limited Slip or possibly with a locker installed)
- Wider front axle to match the rear axle (axle choice yet to be determined)
- Drop the rear leaf spring shakles 5"
- Install front leaf spring shakles to match the rear
- Tiddy up with custom driveshafts, crossmembers, steering column extension and misc. (I'm a machinist, this should be right up my alley)

Now I understand that these mods are going to take some serious time (years) and some serious dedication. I know I make it seem like no big deal to just go and convert axles and things of that nature but please keep in mind these are just thoughts at the moment. Money is an obstacle, however, I figure I can get most of my parts through the salvage yard and through buddies who do this kind of building. My machinist skills may pay off when it comes to the barter system as well - you know, machinist work for parts trade.

Does anybody see any reason at all why these modifications could not be done and work well with eachother? Anyone have any suggestions on which axles would work well in this situation? If so, please speak up. Ideas, suggestions, positive and negative feed back is also welcome and infact gratefully appreciated.

To me, on paper this surely looks like a rock solid truck which seems both bullet proof and unstoppable but like I said...I'm kind of a Mopar car guy and don't know too much about this Ford truck stuff. I may be in need of some expert advice here. Anyone ever convert their twin I-beam over to a straigh axle with a leaf spring setup? Got info, suggestions or food for thought here?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

#2 Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

Nobody has any input on this matter? It seems strange that all you Bronco gurus aren't stepping over eachother in order to poke fun at a Dodge guy......LoL

Daniel

#3 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

it's all able to be done. lots drop 5.0's in bII's and rangers quite often. now if the T5 with D-tcase is doable i have no clue with your short wheelbase. the aftermarket 9" fontend would be way cool since they dont have to go full low gears in the pumpkin since they double down at the knuckle like the hum V. but $$$. if it was me i'd go D44 upfront since they can be found diffirent widths stock and lots of aftermarket for em, the same with the 9" lots of aftermarket for em and a few stock widths found. most all 4x4's start as ideas and goes from there. just read and test ideas and build.

#4 STLKIKN

STLKIKN

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:EBs, EBs, Boobies... you know, all the important things in life!

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:35 AM

Hey Daniel,
Planning your mods before you start building????
Must be a mopar guy!!! :D :D
Sounds like what you want to do is build an Early Bronco out of a BII!!
Stay with the coil spring front suspension...
Your best bet (easiest) way to acheive the truck you seem to want, would be to find a wrecked 76/77 EB and swap all drivetrain components into the BII.
In a small (lightweight) truck the EB components should handle anything you can throw at them.
The t-5 trans won't last long with a tire larger than 33 inches (ask any J**p owner) And the wheel base is pretty short for a divorce mount with the kind of lift you mention.
The Dana 44 front diff and factory 9" from the EB is a very simple swap, and they are strong enough to handle 35's (and larger)in stock form. Also the wider offset of the wheels will increase your track width too. Or as an alternative for wider axles, use a set of full-size diffs (also D44 and 9").
The Dana 20 t-case from an EB is very strong, as well as being more compact than the 205.
As far as getting an o/drive trans into the swap, there are ways to put either the ZF 5spd full size truck trans in, or the NV3550 J**p trans in, either is going to suit your needs well.
Good luck with your research, and then in your build... keep us posted
STLKIKN

#5 Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

That's the kind of input I was hoping to receive. Good posts fellas and good information. I certainly have some things to reconsider. I appreciate your time and your wisdom.

Cheers!
Daniel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users