No Gas To Carb In My 68 Bronco

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JimOrangeCrush_*

Guest_JimOrangeCrush_*

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:52 AM

Ok I bought this very clean 68 bronco about 3 weeks ago and as I drove it home which was over 300 plus miles away it died on me 2 times while going off the interstate. So we looked at it and figured no Gas or something both tanks has lots of gas but no fuel to the carb. My fuel pump is the very old type that has the vacuum exchange for the wipers on top of the pump. Finding a replacement pump has been a challenge. So we bought a new pump for a 70 bronco 302 mine is a 289 with 67 K original miles on it. I think my grandma owned it as the mileage is very low for a 68. Anyways we put the new pump on and tried for some time to get it started it will run when I dump gas into the carb but if I start. We popped the fuel lines and we had a trickle of gas. My guess is that I have a clog in the line due to it sitting in someone�s barn for most of the year or longer or the switch under the drivers seat is bad and has been going out for some time. I need help or advice please.
:o

#2 Guest_Toby the Dancing Bronco_*

Guest_Toby the Dancing Bronco_*

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:10 PM

The pump has two sides, the push and the pull. When you remove the line from the tank (pull), can you feel any suction from the pump? When you remove the line to the carb (push), can you feel any positive pressure? When I was a kid, I would get a gas can, put it under the car and run a chunk of gas line into it, and see if the pump would pull from the can, and at what rate. It is probably against the law to do this now, and I would only try it if my wife was not home, but it could confirm your suspicions as to a clog, and where. I would do the same procedure at the fuel switch, too, and note that if it pulls fuel from there, your clog is between the tank and the switch. You may have gas in the bottom of the tanks turning back into dinosaurs, too, and that is rarely a good thing. You may have to dump the fuel and tanks, clean 'em out and run new lines altogher. I would look into getting an in-line filter (pre-pump) at the same time, too, if you think you are going to use the vehicle as God intended. The nice thing about replacing fuel lines is that you become intimate with your Bronco, and you can often relax on the creeper, and the rest of the world starts to make sense. Really, it doesn't get any better than this, until your kids start helping you, any way! Enjoy!

#3 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

Just an FYI - I used metal brake lines when for my gas lines. I didn't like the weak plactic lines and thought metal would work better since it bends easy and is stronger. Just make sure its the same inner diameter line size.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#4 Guest_Bear_*

Guest_Bear_*

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:01 AM

I've delt w/ this one. I parked mine for a few years and firing it up every few months for 5-10 min. When I went to get her on the road she didn't want to go. I ended up pulling the fuel pickup out of the tank and it was nearly pluged w/ a varnish smelling hard goop. cleaned her tubes w a small screwdriver and soked the tube(Not the fuel senser unit) in a can of fresh coke which ate the remaining stuff and rust. Replaced it along w/ a new O-ring & Finished the coke w/ a smile as she ran like a bronco should.

#5 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

In the future, use some Gas Stable. It helps the gas from turning to shellack over long periods.
Wheel it like you stole it!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users