Cheap Lockers

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:48 AM

I am about finished with the first stages of my bronco, however I am fixing to re-gear it and hopefully lock it up front and rear. Does anybody have any suggestions? :-B

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:43 PM

Might help to give a little more info. You can install a spool in the rear if it's a 9". Any kind of locker will affect your street driving, though. Best option up front is a limited slip instead of a locker, or an ARB air locker (pricey).
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:22 PM

The cheap way is to weld it up (lincoln locker) or use a spool. The best locker I found is the Detroit. If you plan on pulling with this truck or do lots of street driving go limited slip. Up front I used a trac loc LS for years before my detroit. I do see more traction with the locker than the LS but the steering is much tougher to steer with a detroit. Go LS, OX locker, electric locker or air locker so you can engauge it when needed for steering.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#4 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

sorry about the info mishap! 1987 Full Size, 351w, c6, Dana 44 TTC, Ford 8.8
6" rough country suspension, 3" body, 38.5/14.5/15 super swamper tsl/sx, rough country bushing kit
I work about 90 hrs a week for a local towing company, so that explains the low amount of posts and why I haven't gotten around to posting any pictures of my ride. You guys have helped me out alot just by answering other peoples questions and I appreciate the fact that support is just an E-mail away. I believe this was a special edition bronco or something because when I bought it, it had the factory suspension and was sitting on 33's, also has 3.54 gears and limited slip front and rear. Any comments or ideas? :o)

#5 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:26 AM

I sure hope you aren't running 3:54 gears with 38's! :blink:

#6 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:36 PM

I haven't run it much, work to many hours. As I previosly stated, I'm finished with the first stages of my project, now comes the rest! :D

#7 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:28 PM

My advice would be to scrap the stock axles and swap in some 1-ton units if you plan to keep the 38's. By the time you re-gear to 4.88's and a new front carrier, plus spend the money to beef up the 8.8" and D44TTB components, you could save a bunch of headaches with a GM 14-bolt rear and D60. That's my plan, starting with the front axle. I just think the shafts, ujoints and whole design of the Dana44 twin i-beam front axle will not stand up even to my 35's. I'll try to get by with just a spool in the Ford 9" rear, then replace that when I break it. I feel like a stock Ford 8.8" axle is even weaker.Last bit of advice is to be patient and wait for a good deal on the parts. look at several axles before you buy one, and get an idea of what you want to pay for it. Again, I would not advise a locker up front, unless it's a selectable one like the ARB. And I've had my Bronco for 4 years, only halfway with the buildup to the ultimate machine I want it to be someday.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.

#8 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

Dana 60 Rears are also a dime a dozen. Its the front D60 thats the spendy one. Most yards sell for $500-$1500 each. This is my next project on my 68 Bronco since I blow the F250 D44 shafts every other time I go wheeling with 38's.
The rear 9" seems OK for the large tires.

#9 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I really don't plan on seriously wheeling this thing(rock climbing, ect.), I just don't like getting stuck in the mud getting back to my favorite fishing holes. You're right though, if I had known then what I know now, I would have went to the straight axles. I just purchased a 1979 1/2 ton F150 with aa 400bb, 4spd, np205 for $125.00 that I don't know what to do with yet. Thanks for all the help!

#10 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

Well for starters the NP435/NP205 combo is worth $500 easy if you want to sell some stuff.
I've even seen the adapter inbetween the 435 and 205 go for $400.
Each axle is worth $250-$500 depending on condition.
Sell any body panels and interior that are good and ditch the rest.

#11 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:49 PM

That's good advice, either part it out to make a little $$$ for your Bronco or swap the parts over. Prolly better off parting out since it's 1/2-ton parts, except for the t-case. The Np205 is bulletproof.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users