8 replies to this topic

#1 TomC

TomC

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

I have A problem when driving on a 325 mile trip while driving the engine would try to cut off like it was running out of gas. If I tapped the gas repeatedly it would keep it going till I could stop. Once it stopped for a while it would go on for about a half hour or so until it did it again. I replaced the fuel filter 3 times. (I have a lot of spares) After doing it the truck would run great for about an hour. I did run out of gas last night and I thought that doing that may have caused some problems. I am wondering what can I do to correct this problem?

#2 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:46 PM

Are the filters actually getting clogged with contaminants?

Not to worry you, but I had a similar issue with mine and changed the filter several times while trouble shooting it..
Ended up being a major head issue.

I would pull, cut or break a filter apart and see what all is actually getting trapped and if the filter is getting clogged up, then the entire fuel system could stand a good cleaning and possibly some parts replacement.

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:26 PM

Another possibility is that your fuel pump is weak or leaking and not supplying enough fuel to keep the float tank/s full. Possibly the float adjustment is off or the float is sticking.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 TomC

TomC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:41 AM

How would I check the float? what should i do? I have never messed withthat before. Is there an access pannel in the rear of the truck, or do I have to drop the gas tank? Also the problem only happens while at highway speeds and seems to happen while going up inclines (I drove up to the mountains in VA)

#5 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:36 AM

Nah, the floats Seabronc means are in the carburator :)
If it mainly happens at highway speeds and on inclines, then yes, it does sound like a float adjustment issue.
What kind of carburator do you have on it now?

#6 TomC

TomC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

It has a holley carb not sure what model it is I just purchased the truck 2 weeks ago. I do no it is a 2 barrel that is about it. and tips on adjusting the float...i left my chiltons and hayes books at home. I am away on a vacation and I need to get this fixed, so that I can go home. thanks

#7 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:22 PM

It's been a while since I played with a holley.. but here goes.
Anyone can correct me if I am wrong or left anything out.

Holleys have an external float adjustment and a plug with a screw on the side of the bowl.
The adjuster is on top and should be a screw with a locking nut.
First, have some rags to collect any spilled fuel and if possible, a fire extingisher.
Start the engine and remove the plug on the side of the bowl and determine if any fuel comes out, or does not come out. (I used to tap the bowl lightly with a screw driver handle to make sure the float isn't sticking also)
What you want is for the fuel to come up to the bottom of that hole.
If the fuel level is too high, a lot of fuel will come out.
If too low, then no fuel will come out or be seen.
Too high and the float needs to be lowered with the adjustment screw.
If too low, then the float needs to be raised.
When you get the fuel level where you want it, hold the adjustment screw so it does not change, while tightening its locking nut. Then replace the plug.

It is also possible that the carb has junk (dirt or varnished fuel) in it that is interfering with proper fuel delivery.
Do you know if the truck was driven often or parked for a long time before you got it?
Also, did you look at all the vacuum lines and blind plugs for wear (wear or hardness, like the rubber has lost its elasticity), dry rot, rub marks or obvious leaks?
Kinked fuel lines, leaks etc along the fuel lines?

#8 TomC

TomC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the help and info. I will try that out in the morning. and yes the truck was sitting for a while before I bought it. Also since it happens off and on could it also be the fuel pump going out? And is it possible to test the pump?

#9 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

Yes, you can test the fuel pressure if you have the right tools and gauge for it :)
I believe it should be around 5 to 8 psi of fuel pressure from a factory mechanical pump.

And with it having sat for a while, I am willing to bet that the float is hanging up or sediment is coming through and preventing the float needle from closing properly, possibly blocking a metering jet from time to time also.

Or depending how long it sat, gaskets on the holley may have become hard and brittle and are coming apart now.
Easiest bet would be to get the carb rebuilt and see if that makes any improvements before proceeding with a complete fuel system clean out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users