8 replies to this topic

#1 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Ok guys, I'm gonna hate doing this. I need to clean my engine and the underparts of my Bronco to look for leaks. I've got so much crap caked under there it's pathetic. 16 years is a long time. The engine itself isn't so bad, but boy does the underside/transmission need some help.

What I figure to start with is laying down a tarp underneath and just take a stiff brush to knock the crud off the parts that can handle rough treatment, then maybe hitting them with a degreaser, or even just dish soap and water to start with.

I'm going to try to use as little water as possible, and can hopefully keep what I do use confined to the area I need it. I know there's a few parts I should mask off to keep them dry, but not sure I have them all. What parts should I cover? What should I use to clean it? Any other advice is always appreciated.

Brad

#2 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

I usually find a good car wash at night, and proceed to clean. The last time it cost me about $10 just to do the underside and the engine compartment.
GOT MUD?

#3 STLKIKN

STLKIKN

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:EBs, EBs, Boobies... you know, all the important things in life!

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

I agree with 4xfan...
Buy a couple of cans of heavy duty engine de-greaser, spray it on with the engine/trans cool, allow it to soak in well, then head for the nearest car wash and blast away.
Be careful around the carb and the distributor, other than that, you are good to go.
Take a couple of plastic shopping bags and some large strong elastics, cover the dist and the carb with the bags, snap the elastics around the bottom of them to "waterproof" for the wash, but still don't use direct pressure at them.

#4 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

I just noticed I posted this in the wrong part. Should be 80 and up.

I don't think the car wask will work. I really need to get up under it. I just tried with a pressure washer, and it's not hitting where I need it.

Brad

#5 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

Use a set of car ramps and wear a rain suit. Worked for me.
GOT MUD?

#6 Guest_SMS ford bronco_*

Guest_SMS ford bronco_*

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:33 PM

put it in lifts in the front get upunder it and go to a auto zone or a auto store and get the big bottle of PURPLE POWER make sure the truck is cooled down first then spray the underneith very heavly and scrub it with maybe a wire brush and then rinse troughly

Attached Thumbnails

• Pictures_of_stuff_006.jpg

#7 Guest_coop7379_*

Guest_coop7379_*

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:04 PM

its only water. lay down under your bronco with the power washer and blast away just have the carb and distributer coverd incase water gets up there. you will be soaked even with a rain suit. i know i was, but the underside will be clean. and as far as i know nothing on the underside matters if it gets wet. :D

#8 Wliebhard

Wliebhard

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Mtn. Biking, Family, Making engines fit that shouldn't.

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:50 PM

Purple power works, but wear gloves. It feels slippery because its a powerful base solvent and the slipperiness is your skin coming off. I also found WD-40 soak over night works well. Buy the gallon jug and a sprayer. Then proceed as above.
Also were eye protection when doing this- you don't want the crap from 16 years ago going into your eyes!
1985 Bronco, '95 Cummins 12v, 47RE tranny, NP241HD T-case, 31" MT, 3" body lift, more to come...

#9 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

if you are gonna wear some goggles and stuff oven cleaner will take off just about anything becareful it's bad do do

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users