14 replies to this topic

#1 TomC

TomC

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

My 78 bronco was running weird again. When driving about 50mph the truck cuts out like it is running out of gas. I pulled over and checked over some stuff. I pulled the inline filter before the fuel pump and it was filled with red residue. I am guessing that it is rust from the gas tank? Or is that normal for an old filter. Also if it is rust should I dropp the tank and have it cleaned?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

More than likely it is from where you got gas. I had that prob. once and I had to drop the tank and clean everything out. If you got gas from some place other than you normaly do don't go back. It comes from old tanks, they begin to break down with age and the stuff comes off into the gas. Hope this helps

#3 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:58 PM

I don't think the junk in the filter is from the pump as they have filters in the tanks and at the pumps. It sounds like you are picking rust up off the bottom of the tank and may have water in the tank. If you are picking up rust, then the screen on the pick-up tube has fallen off. I would drop the tank (after you remove most of the gas) drain it dry, remove the sending unit and inspect the inside for rust.

But I am curious to know if your loss of power happens at random, while climbing a hill, going down a hill, level road? The reason I ask this is that you may have more then one problem. Loss of power on a hill or under acceleration is a sign that your "power enrichment valve" is bad and needs replaced.

Your filter is before the pump? It should be up by the carb, unless you have moved it or have an after market carb/filter/pump set up.

#4 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:13 PM

I don't think the junk in the filter is from the pump as they have filters in the tanks and at the pumps.

Not all of them do. Some do, some don't. A few of the ones that say they have them really don't. I've known of some unscrupulous gas station owners that would even cut their gas a little with other liquids to make a couple of extra cents on every fillup.

Brad

#5 TomC

TomC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

Ziggy- I have 2 fuel filters one right before the carb and another inline one before the pump. Now it is cutting out at any speeds It just happened when I was going 35. Then it took me a while to start it up. It happens randomly and even if it is on a flat road. It is driving me crazy. I guess I will take the sending unit out and check the screen. Maybe that will be the problem

#6 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

Drop the tank. Sure sounds like rust is clogging the filter. That would cause it to starve and then when setting for a while the float tank on the carb would have time to fill alowing it to start again.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#7 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

I would check the whole fuel system as the rust has probably made its way into the float bowl as well. If you drain the tank and drop it, look for water in the gas, find a old mason jar or a clear glass and siphon some gas into it from the bottom of the tank. Look for water as it will settle to the bottom of the jar or glass. Check all rubber lines for cracks and leakage, check rigid lines for pin holes from rust. If you have an air compressor, blow the lines out from before the pump back to the tank (disconnect the line at the tank). Also blow the line out from the pump to the carb (disconnect the line at the carb). [B]DON'T BLOW THROUGH THE PUMP, you'll blow the diagham out. This will remove any residuale rust in the lines. Check your fuel pump for leakage as well, as you may have a bad diaghram. Check the screen on the pickup tube in the tank, mine fell off and was in such bad shape that I had to replace the pickup/sending unit.

#8 TomC

TomC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:55 AM

Well I took out the gas tank and the sending unit was all corroded and there was no screen on it. Also, there were all sorts of rust particles in the gas and a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank. What is the best way for me to clean out the gas tank? Can I just hose it out? Also is it possible to just clean up the sending unit and put a new screen on it?

#9 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:34 PM

Hose it out real good with water, any rust in the tank should be removed with a light sanding (if you can get your arm in the hole). There are products on the market that you can pour in the tank and slosh around to seal the tank and seal over the rust. As for the sending unit screen, you could leave it off, make your own or buy a new sending unit. If you seal the tank, I wouldn't worry about replacing the sending unit. You already have 2 fuel filters in your fuel systems, you'll just have to be more diligent about replacing the filters on a regular basis.

#10 Billz4x4z

Billz4x4z

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Trucks,4 Wheelin,Workin on Stuff,campin,the outdoors,NASCAR,meetin new people to go wheelin with,Truck shows family time

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:06 PM

ever check the fuel pressure,it should be between 5-7 psi.....another tes is while running have the fuel line pulled and see ow long it takes to fill a 16 oz bottle......
If ya don't get hung up once in a while your not wheelin hard enough
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

how bad is the inside rusted?you might want to think about a new tank might get some pin hole leaks started when you go scraping and cleaning ya know?

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

the tank itself is not rusted, there is just all sorts of rust particles in there. I used a shop vac and cleaned it out. Today I finally got around to putting the tank back in. I replaced my fuel filters as well. I can not now get it to start. I put gas in the tank and poured some in the carb. it would fire up and then cut out. I filled up the carb about 6 times and started it up. I just can not get it to send fuel to the carb on its own. I have a clear fuel filter just before the fuel pump and it is full with gas. When I disconnect the line from the carb there is no gas comming out. Is it a bad pump or does it just take a long time to get gas primed through the fuel lines? It has been sitting for about a month.

#13 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

Sure sounds like the pump is bad. It shouldn't take much time at all to get the gas thru the pump to the carb. I'd guess that the diaphrem is shot. If so, check your oil for gas in it. My diaphram was leaking and I didn't find out till I did an oil change. About 10 quarts came out of a 5 quart system. :o

Good luck,

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#14 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:34 PM

PS if the pump is good, the cam that drives it could be bad. :mad:

Good luck,

#15 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:46 PM

is the line to the carb kinked?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users