12 replies to this topic

#1 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:14 PM

Ok, my '88 bronco is a custom. I never really gave it too much thought before, but since I've been trying to get her back to her glory it sort of hit me. What's so custom about it?

I asked my dad, who bought the Bronco new when I was 12, and he said it was the rubber flooring. Is that really all? Were there other options that were available on custom, or was that it?

Don't get me wrong I love being able to crawl inside with the hose at the car wash and just hose her out. Especially when people look at me with that look of envy as they try to get that damn vacuum hose into the crevaces of their car before the dollar runs out. Although I've noticed cracks in the flooring lately and can't do that any more for fear of rust.

Brad

#2 bluesman17

bluesman17

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:01 PM

thats a good question id also like to know.

#3 Guest_Guest_stlkikn_*

Guest_Guest_stlkikn_*

Posted 20 November 2004 - 12:08 AM

Generally, the "custom" trim level designated a low or no option truck.
Rubber mat (as you mentioned)
no pwr locks, pwr windows. probably only am/fm radio, possibly vinyl only on the seats, no fancy trim on the dash etc...

#4 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

yep. Basic radio, two shifters (4w and standard), two buckets, and a bench. That's all that's inside. Wonder why they went with the name custom though? Not very custom if you ask me.

Brad

#5 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:17 PM

I know at the time (the 80's), there were 3 trim levels in F-150's and Bronco's: Custom, XL and XLT. The Custom was plain vanilla with only standard equipment, the XL was middle of the road and had a few extra features like cloth seats or whatever, and the XLT was the fancy version with everything you could get. GM had a similar program with the Kustom or Silverado 1500 series and competition was fierce! Most folks that bought a Custom model used them as work trucks and saved quite a bit of cash by not getting all of the fancy options. My 84 XLT was purchased for close to $20,000 by the time the original owner ordered what he wanted.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#6 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:00 AM

Thanks. That explains a lot. Especially why I don't see many Customs out there in good shape. Work trucks don't generally look pretty for too long. Customs's not even listed as an option on most info sites. Not even kbb.

If I keep it original and in good shape, I wonder how that will affect the value of it in the long run. Probably not much, but it's good to know that I'll have something not many people will.

Brad

#7 88pimpin

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, chicks, stereos, women, trucks, women.

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

Don't forget Eddie Bauer.

If you're worried about your floor, I'd take a razor to the cracks, check for rust, fix any you find, and then go back over it with some Herculiner. I've been thinking about getting something like that to do since I'm not a big fan of carpet since it gets stained easily. Although I may do this and then put the carpet back on, so for sound deadening purposes.

Any chance you could get pics of it? If I could get some colored lining in tan I'd probably do it.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian - '02 Ninja 250R '99 Honda XR 80
1989 Ranger 2.9L V6 5-speed 4x4, 1995 S-10 2.0L POS

#8 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:35 PM

If I keep it original and in good shape, I wonder how that will affect the value of it in the long run. Probably not much, but it's good to know that I'll have something not many people will.

As a general rule, the more options or higher the "trim" level, the higher the resale value is. KBB and NADA have guides for the value of every single item, but mileage and overall condition will determine what a truck is worth. As will how bad the buyer wants what you have to sell.

I didn't mention the Eddie BAuer, since it's an XLT with a few more options like leather and EB trim. But it is a step above a regular XLT.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#9 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:37 PM

As a general rule, the more options or higher the "trim" level, the higher the resale value is. KBB and NADA have guides for the value of every single item, but mileage and overall condition will determine what a truck is worth. As will how bad the buyer wants what you have to sell.

Sure. I was just sort of daydreaming about 10-15 years down the road when she's one of the last true customs out there in pretty much original condition. I'll probably never sell it. Too many memories of riding in it with my dad when I was a kid. It was the vehicle I learned to drive a stick in. Unless you count tractors.

Brad

#10 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:11 PM

Hey Pimp.

You talking to me or justShootme about the pics?

Check here:

http://www.auto-inte...ord1.htm#Bronco

I haven't tried them yet, but that's where I'm looking at getting mine from. It doesn't list tan, but there is a picture of a tan one on the color page.

Brad

#11 88pimpin

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, chicks, stereos, women, trucks, women.

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:03 AM

That's a nice price! I usually see carpets like for my Cougar for $250+. I'd sure like to get that beige vinyl. Christmas wish. :D

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian - '02 Ninja 250R '99 Honda XR 80
1989 Ranger 2.9L V6 5-speed 4x4, 1995 S-10 2.0L POS

#12 Guest_Guest_cjbronco_*

Guest_Guest_cjbronco_*

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

Well i have an 82' bronco that has the XLS package. Its a blackout pack.

#13 BroncoForever

BroncoForever

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Ford Broncos, Trucks, Muscle Cars, Auto Mechanics, Music; classic rock and metal mostly

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:20 PM

It's plane jane!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users