Heater Core

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_luv2jeeper_*

Guest_luv2jeeper_*

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:28 PM

My 78 bronco has working a/c and the heater core appears to be leaking.I used the leak stop stuff a couple years ago and got by untill now.So i looked in my motor manual to see what kind of project it is to replace it.manual says with a/c it is beyond the scope of the home Mechanic :huh: Has any one changed one or payed to have it done? Cost? Thanks

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:36 PM

All I can tell you is that I pulled a unit with a heater core and A/C core in it for a guy on the west coast about a year ago. It was a bitch of a job and a good thing it was in a junker. Good thing that truck didn't need to run again :lol: . that being said, it must be dooable since that guy did it. He said it was going to be a bitch getting it out and it was. However, if the shop mechanic can do it, you can too. It will be easier if you can find a shop manual that goes thru the proceedure. I just looked it up in my 83 shop manual and it would have been easier if I had done that for the 78 one I pulled.

Basically you have to disassemble the dash and remove the heater core cover , duct work, take apart the plenum that the A/C evaporator. There are bolt on the inside and outsice that need to be removed. So like I said, it's a bitch and you have to disassemble a lot of the dash.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

All I can tell you is that I pulled a unit with a heater core and A/C core in it for a guy on the west coast about a year ago. It was a bitch of a job and a good thing it was in a junker. Good thing that truck didn't need to run again :lol: . that being said, it must be dooable since that guy did it. He said it was going to be a bitch getting it out and it was. However, if the shop mechanic can do it, you can too. It will be easier if you can find a shop manual that goes thru the proceedure. I just looked it up in my 83 shop manual and it would have been easier if I had done that for the 78 one I pulled.

Basically you have to disassemble the dash and remove the heater core cover , duct work, take apart the plenum that the A/C evaporator. There are bolt on the inside and outsice that need to be removed. So like I said, it's a bitch and you have to disassemble a lot of the dash.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users