Dual Exhaust

11 replies to this topic

#1 grande_guerre

grande_guerre

grande mondiale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Broncos (of course), loud speakers, snowboarding, guitar, cars in general

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

I'm planning on changing the single exhaust to dual exhaust on my 84 with a 351. Has anyone done this, what was the pipe routing you used, and how difficult was it on a scale from 1 to 10?

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:38 AM

Unless you have a 4 in. lift or greater, you have to route the driver side pipe to the passenger side and after clearing the transfer case, you can run back to the driver side. If you go strait back without a lift, you have to go under the skid plate and that will probably eventually get ripped off because of it's closeness to the ground.

Either way you have to custom build a set of pipes. Some states won't allow you to do that or they classify your truck as, "off road only". Here in NY, veicles 92 and older don't have to go thru the stringent emissions tests so we have a little slack.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

My 78 has the left pipe running on the right then around the t-case then back to the right side. I think it looks like sh#t, so I am ordering side pipes to eliminate this problem. A suspension lift will not help on the exhaust pipes. A 4" body lift might but the floor boards will get real hot if you run them above cross members.
GOT MUD?

#4 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:51 PM

You are right about the heat. That's why they have heat shields over the ones on the right side. You can also add a racing heat blanket like mine and you can set under there with a blow torch and I wouldn't know it . I respectfully disagree that a 4" lift won't help, since that is a common way of running a dual pipe and keeping it under the truck. It takes some bending, but it can be done that way.

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#5 Bronco89XLT

Bronco89XLT

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

Here in NY, veicles 92 and older don't have to go thru the stringent emissions tests

I thought it was 25 years or older. I have to get my 89 Bronco inspected and after checking it out, it has to go through the same test as my 2002 Impala minus the OBDII port scan.

#6 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

My mechanic, who does the test, told me that that 93 and up. He said it stillo goes thru the state system but no data is collected and only the safety checks are made. I'll double check that with him.

He had to buy a $2,400.00 machine from the state to keep his inspection station status.

#7 Ngapuhi

Ngapuhi

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:05 AM

Kia Ora Guys Its Ngapuhi from New Zealand Been a bit occupied, sorry just catching up on the gossip.Hey I had twin pipes installed on my 82 Bronc. No headers on mine, just the original 351 with manifolds. By the way we drive on the left hand side so I'm right hand drive. My exhaust man managed to run the two pipes (2 3/4 inch) right through to the back. He obviously had to go over the transfer case but both pipes are run down the inside on each side of the chasis. As requested by me the pipes are up above the bottom of the rail in case of any off-roading, not that I do any.I also installed a balance pipe that sits nicely tucked up by the sump and gearbox. There are two hefty mufflers up above the rear axles with the pipes extended to the back of the tray. Most guys have the pipes just behind the door pertruding out on either side but thats just a bit to loud for me.I like to hear my CD and talk to my passenger. Anyway the sound is something else.It gives it the deep throaty but harmonized rumble.Everybody knows its a V8 but it dosn't blow there eardrums from hear to kingdom come. Your grandmother can hear you coming but dosn't mind you in her driveway Ha Ha. There is a bit of heat through the floor but it keeps your feet warm in the winter.So yes it is possible and functionable without having to lift, and it looks like a work of art.Hope this helps you with your dicision.

#8 Iamnottelling

Iamnottelling

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

Just a note by me is that I put my duals down the passenger side of the truck and went above the transmission support-protection bar then strait out the back. I would suggest angling the pipes at the back or you will get some exhaust in the back window when it is down due to the curl of air.

#9 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:59 PM

Ngapuhi, have you got any pictures of that. Sounds neat. I had duals on mine by going down the right side with both pipes with flowmaster mufflers. Since then I have put on a factory system with a dual pipe muffler. It still has a nice rumbler though.

#10 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

By the way, this will keep the heat from the pipes out in the Summer and the cold out in the winter. :D

#11 Ngapuhi

Ngapuhi

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

Kia Ora SeaBronc, Yea sweet as Bro. If you can give me just a bit of time, I'll get some photo's on site for you. I don't have a camera but my mate has. I'll take one of the truck as well. It's a sort of a one off down these parts. No trouble with fumes up through the back window because it's a ute (Pick up you guys call them.)Bit short and small in the back but who cares. It's enough for my work gears. I drive it everyday, being a work vehicle, but dream of when I can strip it down and do some real serious work on it. Being so far away and down on this side of the world is hard to find parts for sometimes. Alright for you guys, thats where they made them.

#12 88pimpin

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, chicks, stereos, women, trucks, women.

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

Had dual pipes put in for $170 total. Melted my mudflaps, but I wanna put some chrome ones or naked chick ones on anyway. I'll see if he'll cut the ends off for free, then I'll put some tips on.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian - '02 Ninja 250R '99 Honda XR 80
1989 Ranger 2.9L V6 5-speed 4x4, 1995 S-10 2.0L POS

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users