8 replies to this topic

#1 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:53 AM

i am seriously thinking of trading my reliable daily driven 96 f1504x4 for a very clean 76 f250 4x4. my truck has no carpet or tailgate the 300/5spd 136,000miles nice stereo, power everything, toolbox, 3" body and leveling spacers, rancho 5000s, rear 8000lb winch and front winch bumper made for body lift. everything works great and the future plans for it was to put my 79 pickup drivetrain under it (np435,205,d44 9"). but i now have a big 79 bronco that will become the toy. the f250 built 9/75 has new paint wich looks like there could be a little bondo above the rear passenger fender, but absolutely no rust anywhere else if there is any.i think there is bondo there because my bronco has some rust starting there but it might just be a dent the paint job is very smooth with no "orange peel", new interior, chrome, everythings dry underneath. motor has high oil pressure and no smoke or blow by of any kind. very nice engine compartment. weatherstripping is also new. is has no ac or cruise and there seems to be a little play in the steering column it has a little aftermarket steering wheel. its a high boy i guess its on new 33s on new chrom mags on what looks to be stock suspension with plenty of room. it has a granny low and divorced 205 with warn premium lock outs. there is a horizontal spooled winch under the front bumper and old-school grill gaurd. it has a new rear bumper also. it runs and drives great and the breaks will lock up but it wont stop like my 96 im assuming thats normal. they want $5900 for it and will trade me straight up its at a small used lot. is this a good idea? what engines were used in 76 someone said its a 460 thats also looked at it but it doesnt seem any bigger than my bronco 400 if that big. the number of valve cover bolts = what possiblity in 1976? gas milage isnt a big issue because if i keep my 96 its gonna be big and terrible on the highway anyway. this would be my everyday driver and would get rear disk brakes and a new aftermarket steering shaft. my dad had a 72 ford that had almost 300,000 on it when he finally traded it in i love these old trucks.

#2 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:55 AM

sorry the winch is a wierd vertical spool ive never seen one like it what would it be?

#3 77F150

77F150

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:13 PM

Go for it! Of your not concerned about mileage then it sounds like a preatty good buy. I would double check everything and try to get as much history as possible, I know that can be hard buying from a dealer. You really can't beat these old trucks and it sounds like it's not in too bad of shape. One thing I always try to remember is I can fix 99% of the things that go wrong with them, but I don't have a scan tool or computer to figure out what's wrong with some of the new stuff. KISS it Keep it simple stupid. Always a good motto to live by. B)

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

i'd do it too,I drive a 73 f250 4x4 everyday.I've had problems here and there but it's been paid for for a long time and I love it

#5 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

my old f-250 took my dad and me to work for a lot of years andi suppose it will me for more years to come.
there is always something needing to be done on old ones but atleast you don't have a payment.I am constantly improving mine to make it nicer to ride and drive
plus I love the way people look up at me at lights and give me a thumbs up.
after all theses years of working on it I know everything about my truck every noise and problems almost everything is lifetime warranty on it so when things do wear out I just take it back,just costs me time.
I even have air,tilt,cruise,cd player,delay wipers nice interior and decent gas mileage.still gatering all the chrome for a paint job should be able to do it this spring hopefully.

#6 Col Klinx

Col Klinx

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:58 AM

I drive my unrestored 78 everywhere i need to go. Its my first truck that i hope to keep for years to come, its also my only vehicle. Besides if anything breaks its easier to fix than these newer cars with the computers and all.I also like the fact that they don't use mch plastic, if any on the body and such. I just keep working on/improving mine as I go.

#7 79ford250

79ford250

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:wheeling

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

i drive my 79 f-250 with a 460 everyday. it really sucks on gas mileage. it maybe a litlle ugly but i still get a lot of looks and compliments on it. when it breaks down i usually fix it. but other than that its nice driving something different than all the yuppies and their new cars

#8 Slomar

Slomar

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Wheeling, Flying, Snowboarding, Video Games

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

I do! You've probably already got the truck, or its been sold to someone else, but it sounds like a fair price. Kelly blue book lists them for 5500 mint. You're probably looking at a 360 for that year if its a high boy. I used to have the straight 6 300 in mine, a real crawler! Great for wheeling! Now we've got a 400m with some good torque and a bit of power to get up those highway grades. I get 11mpg. I hear a good amount of engine noise too. So if you're not driving too far or too fast every day they're pretty fun. The value is in the off roading. They're not exactly touring vehicles.

#9 jake_262

jake_262

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

Ok I've been working on my old 75 for some years now, first off these are tough old trucks and allot of fun on the trails, mine has a big v8 in it so I don't know how the six banger would be power wise. If I were you I would consider the power steering first, these trucks had a very strong but out dated and left behind system. you eighter have the bendix or garrison powersteering for that year, there are no parts for it anywhere, they don't produce them. so if it leaks it will leak till it stops working all together, nothing you can do. what I did was get a good mechanic to swap all that crap off and put a power steering gearbox off of a later year that would work, and used the drag link off of the later years and it works fine, its a 1000 dollor bill though. The second thing is the brakes, you have a single piece rotor hub that they did for like a year and a half, 76 and early 77, they don't make that part to my knowledge as well, but theres hope, if it has the five stud knuckle then you can swap the spindle from the later years, with the shorter outer axle shafts and the hubs and rotors will fit. and last thing I'm going to mintion is the gas tank...............sucks to have it behind the seat, there are places that make special gas tanks to go in the back where teh spair goes, so plan on allot of work on this truck when something goes wrong. hope this helped

i am seriously thinking of trading my reliable daily driven 96 f1504x4 for a very clean 76 f250 4x4. my truck has no carpet or tailgate the 300/5spd 136,000miles nice stereo, power everything, toolbox, 3" body and leveling spacers, rancho 5000s, rear 8000lb winch and front winch bumper made for body lift. everything works great and the future plans for it was to put my 79 pickup drivetrain under it (np435,205,d44 9"). but i now have a big 79 bronco that will become the toy. the f250 built 9/75 has new paint wich looks like there could be a little bondo above the rear passenger fender, but absolutely no rust anywhere else if there is any.i think there is bondo there because my bronco has some rust starting there but it might just be a dent the paint job is very smooth with no "orange peel", new interior, chrome, everythings dry underneath. motor has high oil pressure and no smoke or blow by of any kind. very nice engine compartment. weatherstripping is also new. is has no ac or cruise and there seems to be a little play in the steering column it has a little aftermarket steering wheel. its a high boy i guess its on new 33s on new chrom mags on what looks to be stock suspension with plenty of room. it has a granny low and divorced 205 with warn premium lock outs. there is a horizontal spooled winch under the front bumper and old-school grill gaurd. it has a new rear bumper also. it runs and drives great and the breaks will lock up but it wont stop like my 96 im assuming thats normal. they want $5900 for it and will trade me straight up its at a small used lot. is this a good idea? what engines were used in 76 someone said its a 460 thats also looked at it but it doesnt seem any bigger than my bronco 400 if that big. the number of valve cover bolts = what possiblity in 1976? gas milage isnt a big issue because if i keep my 96 its gonna be big and terrible on the highway anyway. this would be my everyday driver and would get rear disk brakes and a new aftermarket steering shaft. my dad had a 72 ford that had almost 300,000 on it when he finally traded it in i love these old trucks.

View Post

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users