8 replies to this topic

#1 sreaminbronco

sreaminbronco

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

I was looking for some good all-terrain tires for my bronco that are wide because i have some goodyear baja champions on there now and there so skinny the look like pizza boxes, and i have another stupid question my tire size is 31/10.5R15 what is the 10.5 for because i see alot of 33/12.5/R15 and i was just wondering if it would fit? :huh:

#2 EB Bronco

EB Bronco

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

The first number (31) is the approximate inches tall of the tire diameter, the second number (10.5) is the width of the tread and the third number is your rim diameter. There are a lot of write ups about tires on the board. You should be able to find all the information you are looking for. Unless you have a lift or aren't going to flex the suspension a lot off road I wouldn't go any larger than 32x11.5x15. Anything larger with suspension flexing could rub your fenders or most often the radium arms. I've seen 33x12.5x15s on stock Broncos, but those guys usually don't go off road much.

Roger

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

33 x 12.5's extend outside the wheel wells so if you don't have a body lift, they will most likely rub on th wheel wells, not too good for the tire. They will usually only rub on the radius arms in a hard over turn and the amount depends on the width and offset of your rims. also you may need to get different rims for the 33's I believe they require minimun of 8.5in. rim width, your stock rims might not quite make that.

I have a set of 33 x 12.5's that are mounted on 8.5 in. wide rims which gives them a little higher profile but still maintains 12.5 on the road, but for normal road running I use 31 x 10.5's . The 33 x 12.5's look nice but they want to grab every crack in the road and get poorer milage.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 Bronco Bull

Bronco Bull

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, Trucks, Computers

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

I was looking for some good all-terrain tires for my bronco that are wide because i have some goodyear baja champions on there now and there so skinny the look like pizza boxes, and i have another stupid question my tire size is 31/10.5R15 what is the 10.5 for because i see alot of 33/12.5/R15 and i was just wondering if it would fit?  :huh:

View Post

I got good years also, there skinny but there good.

Posted Image

#5 Buckin-Bronco

Buckin-Bronco

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

ive got 33 12.50 15s on my 89 bronco with no lift and at full flex they dont rub, aftermarket 15 x 8 wheels and i dunno the backspacing.. just fyi

#6 Bronco Bull

Bronco Bull

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, Trucks, Computers

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, 33's are the biggest you can go with no lift, 33's are ideal fit.

Posted Image

#7 dirt

dirt

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

also you may need to get different rims for the 33's I believe they require minimun of 8.5in. rim width, your stock rims might not quite make that.

this is not accurate information. 12.50" wide tires can be mounted on 8" wide wheels, you'll jst need to keep the air pressure down to about 22-25 psi to keep even tread wear. running the narrower wheels will also allow you to air down more off road, creating less ground pressure, and reducing your chances of popping a bead. :-B

#8 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

wouldn't aired down tires put more drag on the truck?it would suck ass to void a warranty on new tires because you didn't have the proper pressure huh?
I have 35x12.50x16.5's on my f250 and they are on 12 inch wheels whenever i forget to air back up I can tell as soon as i get on the road the handling is crap and it's really unstable.

#9 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:08 AM

Right highboy, anytime you go outide the manufacturers specifications, you're on your own :( . Lots of thing can be done outside of specifications and work, but anyone who does it assumes the safety, liability and financial risk themself. That's why I don't knowingly suggest that type of thing even if I do something of that nature. Immagine having suggessted something like that and somone gets killed as a result and my name is on a public forum suggesting it :(( .

Oh well, off my soap box <):) that's my .02 on it for what it's worth.

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users