5 replies to this topic

#1 Straight6

Straight6

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:00 PM

I have a 03' F-150 w/4.6 L engine and E4OD trans. It has 55K on it and I want to change the spark plugs can someone explain how to do this this is the first truck I've had that does not have typical spark plug wires. And how many quarts of fluid does the transmission take?

#2 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:17 PM

If its an 03 the wires are proabably sill good. This is an electronic type setup so pull the plugs and replace with the same type.

When replacing the tranny oil you have to add the fluid through the dipstick tube. You can drain it and measure it by adding a new quart and replacing the old fluid back in it.Or do like the rest, drain it, replace it until it shows full on the dip stick tube running in park.
The tough part is the fluid is still inside the tube and can cause false readings. You don't want to overfill otherwise you have to pull the pan again (unless you have a drain plug) and drain. When it gets close, let it drainall the way down the tube for a while and then check in park.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#3 Straight6

Straight6

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

I know to change the plugs with the same type but how do I get them out? It looks like the fuel lines need to come off before I can remove the eletronic cap over the plugs.

Edited by Straight6, 05 February 2005 - 02:15 PM.

#4 racebreedbronco

racebreedbronco

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

spark plugs are good for 100k, if you change them now your just wasting good money, this is a COP engine, coil on plug, it requires you to remove all 8 coils to replace the plugs, see the 7mm bolts at each cyl, remove them then remove the spark plug, make sure you blow out each spark tube to remove sand and debris that will fall into tube after removing coil, but again, not untill 100k, and then make sure you also replace the spark boots, as they will not last to the next spark plug change interval, injector or fuel rail removal is not required

#5 blackdawg

blackdawg

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:2005

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Im working on a 05 5.4 triton with 140,000 miles. Changing spark plugs, the first 1 came out, but the bottom of the plug seemed to break and stay in the head. How do i remove it without damaging the head or dropping it into the cylinder?

#6 Elan

Elan

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:I like traveling, reading novels and music is my passion.
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1998

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

I have just spent 4 days on replacing O2 sensors and spark plug .I am looking forward for a good oil to change.I usually do not handle the critical components of my truck like transmission, engine internals, and brakes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users