Electrical '95, 351

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BuckNaked_*

Guest_BuckNaked_*

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

Red interior battery light went on @ noon. Later that night all the lights went dim, all electrical went out and stopped running. Bought new alternator from NAPA, they recharged batt. for a while. I installed everything, it worked great for 4 days. Then the exact same thing happened. I swapped batteries with a 03 F150 to get me home. Even with the newer F150 Bat. my inside bat. gage was below normal telling me that the alt was probably shot again. When I got home I noticed my original battery was low on water. About 36 oz's. Would this low water in the battery cause the alt. to go out? Someone mentioned it may be a regulator problem between the starter and the alternator. Suggestions would be apprerciated.

#2 Guest_Stomper4x4_*

Guest_Stomper4x4_*

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:11 AM

Hmm, maybe it's overcharging (regulator or some computer cr@p) the battery and boiling off the battery juice? I feel for ya, I have electrical problems. But low water would make the battery difficult to charge ^_^ and with no charge, keeping the truck going. I'm sure someone can help better than this. Consider this a wordy bump for ya :D

#3 Guest_shumbudi_*

Guest_shumbudi_*

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:32 AM

We had a similar problem on our 85 Bronco. The first replacement alternator was also no good. We had the 2nd one tested before we installed it.

If you have a Sears automotive near you, they offer a charging system check for only about $15. This will tell you definitely what the problem is.

Good luck.

#4 Guest_amcabbott_*

Guest_amcabbott_*

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:07 PM

ford had a recall on there wiring plug that plugs into the alternater I am supprised that the new alternater did not come with one. advance autos did. non the less cut yours off and replace it. there has been more then 1 fire from them and there cheep.

#5 Guest_amcabbott_*

Guest_amcabbott_*

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

advance auto and auto zone in my area both test the charging system on the car and also will test the battery and alternater off the car for free.

#6 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:45 PM

one thing to remember is alot of the fords had a seprate voltage regulator see if that one does or not if it does try replacing that. have the alt checked also ..

#7 Guest_chriosodeasey_*

Guest_chriosodeasey_*

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:00 AM

I have a 92 and my alt caught on fire so I replaced it with a one wire 140 amp alt from summit about 140.00$ and it works great no more problems in the charging department. Would recomend it to anyone.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users