2 replies to this topic

#1 Col Klinx

Col Klinx

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

I just did a top end job on my trucks 351 M. Some of the vacuum components are broken off/ plugged or just not hooked up. When i took the intake manifold off i went to unhook a vacuum line from it and the fitting snapped off, does anybody know where i can get this fitting, its just an aluminum fitting that threads into the intake (in front of the carb). Also i need some vacuum diagrams to make sure its all hooked up right, there is a cut off line floating around by the EGR valve that iam pretty sure isnt supposed to be (cut), its a royal mess. if anybody knows where to get a diagram or that part i'd like to hear from them.

#2 BlackFord77

BlackFord77

BlackFordTruck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

This is a tough one in some ways. First, getting the diagrams shouldn't be too hard- I believe either an auto parts store that carries service manuals or an online specialty service booklet dealer should be able to help. Beware of cheesy manuals though- some only give you half of the info. you need. Yes- your EGR valve needs hooked up (It affects performance). Next, the real diagrams are pretty tough for an amateur to read and understand- especially the ones that aren't color-coded. As for the part itself- a parts store, Ebay, or a salvage yard are all good bets. I can also locate some parts- but you'll need the old one to check you get the correct replacement. First, if it was an intake tap (no plastic top portion) with only one connection standing up vertical just go to the local parts store and and a new one (make sure it has american standard threads). Some vacuum lines can actually be eliminated. I recommend keeping: vacuum advance, fuel vapor return (if you had it), EGR and PCV lines. The rest is crap unless you have an air pump and converters in which case it becomes more essential. I also recommend keeping the lines as short as possible. And with vacuum advance- for a better response make the middle portion of the line metal for (like the 1960's version) a better response (rubber flexes- metal don't). I hope this helps some. If you need more help email Shawn at: [email protected]

#3 Col Klinx

Col Klinx

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

I think i got it all figured out, definately keeping the EGR and PCV though along with the vacuum advance. first time i ran it the trans wasnt shifting from 2nd into 3rd right you had to play with it a little and my buddy helped me get that one fixed, i had the vacuum pickup in front of the carb going to the vacuum can instead of the trans. now its just little things i need to get taken care of now that its finally running, carb and timing adjustments mostly. it was giving me fits and i couldnt even try to start it until today, first i thought the solenoid was bad so i replaced it, then i thought the starter was bad so i got it rebuilt, then i changed the ground cable from the battery cause it was kinda coroded and that fixed it. then i blew a brake line and couldnt even take it for a test drive until today. anyways thanks for the help

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users