knocking sound from oil pan area

8 replies to this topic

#1 bigred89f150

bigred89f150

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:1989 f150 xlt lariat ext. cab 4x4 5.0 302<br />2 inch lift<br />warn premium locking hubs

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:21 AM

there is a knocking sound coming from the area around my oil pan. it is very rythmic. i would like to know whta it is i am afraid it is somthing major. also in the mornings when i first start my truck it has a hard time cranking. right before it cranks it makes a hissing sound. but it stops after it cranks. i have replaced my starter and starter solenod. i am so confused. :excl:

#2 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:27 AM

about the one knock from the oilpan could be a rom knocking which is bad. or possible torque converter bolts loose. . check your oil and don't start engine until you have checked every thing out. what engine is it? a 5.0?

#3 bigred89f150

bigred89f150

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:1989 f150 xlt lariat ext. cab 4x4 5.0 302<br />2 inch lift<br />warn premium locking hubs

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

about the one knock from the oilpan could be a rom knocking which is bad. or possible torque converter bolts loose. . check your oil and don't start engine until you have checked every thing out. what engine is it? a 5.0?

View Post

it is a 5.0 1989. a rom?

#4 bigred89f150

bigred89f150

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

it is a 1989 5.0 l 302

#5 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:39 AM

it is a 5.0 1989. a rom?

View Post

what is a rom? read only memory?
i've had 2 of those engines go bad on me. both ojl related problems. i am beginning to think that maybe the oil i'm using is to thinck but i can't see that being it. i'm not taking any chances though. with this last engine i'm using the 5w 30 the sticker on the truck says to use . anyway check that and let us know what you found.

#6 bigred89f150

bigred89f150

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:49 AM

what is a rom? read only memory?
i've had 2 of those engines go bad on me. both ojl related problems. i am beginning to think that maybe the oil i'm using is to thinck but i can't see that being it. i'm not taking any chances though. with this last engine i'm using the 5w 30 the sticker on the truck says to use . anyway check that and let us know what you found.

View Post

i have been using 20w 50 oil but this is the first time i have noticed the noise. should i drain the oil and put lighter oil in?

#7 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:54 AM

i have been using 20w 50 oil but this is the first time i have noticed the noise. should i drain the oil and put lighter oil in?

View Post

its probably too late for that to even help. your going to have to pull the pan and check the rods one by one to see if any of them have any play in them front left to right (from tire to tire). if they do its is the bearing possibly the rod and more than likley the crank is out of round also. if you get the pan of check to see if the oil pump screen is clogged i'm curious about this. because thats what happened to mine.

#8 bigred89f150

bigred89f150

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:05 AM

its probably too late for that to even help. your going to have to pull the pan and check the rods one by one to see if any of them have any play in them front left to right (from tire to tire). if they do its is the bearing possibly the rod and more than likley the crank is out of round also. if you get the pan of check to see if the oil pump screen is clogged i'm curious about this. because thats what happened to mine.

View Post

ok thanks. that is going to be my weekend project. do u think it could be from lack of oil pressure?

#9 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:28 AM

yep if you had low oil pressure or none you better stop wasting your time and get another engine. or rebuild that one . but no telling what the damage is . so it would be best to get another engine. ebay is full of cheap trucks right. if you can find a cheap one close that is the way to get a cheap engine junk yard prices are getting pretty high right now.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users