new to forum need help please

2 replies to this topic

#1 bruce78f250

bruce78f250

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have a 78 f250 with 6,000 miles on a rebuilt motor and mostly new parts. I have a reman'd starter, new flex plate and a completely rebuilt motor with some after market parts. I drove the car to work, its like half a mile. After I shut it off, I tried to restart the vehicle to go somewhere. The problem I have is that when I turn the ignition i can hear the starter engage but the flexplate doesnt turn. I've done everything but ground the starter to the vehicle while its not attached to the engine and run it to verify that it works. I cant figure out whats going on, replaced the old starter and solenoid today. I also checked the fluids and rotated the motor by hand with a socket and a breaker bar. I dont know whats going on with my motor and everyone else I've run into seems to be puzzled by the perdicament that I'm in.

#2 RawkDawg

RawkDawg

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

Try shorting the starter solinoid by making contact with the two big termals....this should engage the starter. A pair of pliers works well as small wire will get hot quick and burn your fingers.

If this works....replace starter solinoid.

Solinoid is located on fender at the end of the positive cable from the battery.

#3 RTRHED

RTRHED

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

If you just rebuilt the motor and reinstalled it, it could be the Torque converter is not fully on the shaft. I had that problem and it caused the flywheel to bind up and not turn. You will have to pull the engine away from the tranny and spin the converter while pushing in at the same time until it clicks fully in then reinstall the engine tighten everything up and it should then turnover. If it's not that then I have no idea.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users