Turn signal problem

3 replies to this topic

#1 DaveP

DaveP

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

I need some help with a strange electrical problem. When my parking lights and headlights are off, the turn signals on my 77 F-150 work fine. However, when I turn the parking lights and headlights on, the turn signals do not blink, they remain steady, but the turn signal indicators on the dash blink indicating the flashers are working fine. I'm not sure what happens when the parking lights are turned on that would impact the signal circuit.

Any thouhts?

#2 miesk5

miesk5

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, beach runs, surf fishing
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:48 AM

I need some help with a strange electrical problem. When my parking lights and headlights are off, the turn signals on my 77 F-150 work fine. However, when I turn the parking lights and headlights on, the turn signals do not blink, they remain steady, but the turn signal indicators on the dash blink indicating the flashers are working fine. I'm not sure what happens when the parking lights are turned on that would impact the signal circuit.

Any thouhts?

Think, a guess, that a bulb base is corroded; flasher is weak;

had same w/our ex 78 Bronco Ranger; a bulb base was corroded; we drilled, tapped and placed a new GRND for a common GRN connection at the frame for every bulb, esp the license plate bulb ; if you look at the diagram and visualize removing a ground for a turn sig bulb socket...............

for a general test, Look here:

http://aarc.epnet.co...n/8576/8576.htm
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
WIRING DIAGRAMS
use #1 dia for the year.
to ck signal turn switch connector at strg col base
ign sw ON
eng not running
use a 12 v test lt or mm and ch for power @ light Blue wire; conn, other test lt lead to a good ground; test light should glow
w/ turn sig lever on right or left, probe the connector for power out of the turn sig switch in each of following wire locations;
left front lt grn wire w/white stripe
left rear - lt grn w/orange stripe

right front - white w/light blue
right rear - orange w/light blue

test light should flash at each location

turn turn sig lever to right

or, I need more time to look at diagrams; have to go now...will try mon or Tues. these are Chilton pics and they don't match what I see in the printed version, as usual
96 Bronco, E4OD, Man Xfer Case & Hubs
See my Big Bronco & F Series Technical & Parts LINKS site. Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim! http://schwimserver5.com/?index=1128
Thanks to All Who Serve

#3 Ross

Ross

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

Any thouhts?

I had the same problem with my 77 Ford truck. The thing I found was that one of my tail-light sockets was corroded. What I did was order a new tail-light socket from the Bronco Graveyard. A simple installation. Just snip the old socket off and splice in the new one. The socket came with pre-installed crimp on type connectors. Ordered it through email and had it within that same week. Good luck with your truck.

#4 ol' red

ol' red

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

not sure if this is still active or if you fixed the problem. but is it just the front that remain steady? or the rear as well? if its just the front check the turn signal sockets. there should be 3 wires coming out. a ground, hot, and one other one. not sure what its for. but when i replaced the front flasher sockets in my 77 f-150 i incorrectly wired them and the third wire cause the flashers to stay steady with the head lights on. so take a test light and test each wire to see which one goes on with the headlights and simply disconnect this wire from the socket. ive never had any problems with mine and the flashers work fine with or without headlights on.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users