96 Bronco Rear Window

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mcbmg95_*

Guest_mcbmg95_*

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:02 AM

My rear window is slow to go up and down. Everytime I put it down I have to get it back up by going up a little until it stops and then back down a little, then back up some more until finally it get all the way up. Is this amotor problem or the tracks? I ma not sure it has anything to do with it, the rear defrost does not work. Any help would be appriciated.

#2 Guest_dxeflyr_*

Guest_dxeflyr_*

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

My old '80 did this for a while. You might think about putting some white grease on the glass lifting mechanism. That helped mine for a year or so, until I found out that a leaky weatherstrip had let water into the gate and rusted out all the mechanicals inside... might want to look at that. The way I found that was the glass started going up one side or the other, unevenly. Hope this helps...

#3 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

My 78 is doing this exact same hting, and I have to approach it with the same finesse - up a bit, down a tad, and up some more, and down a tad more, til it finally closes. I'm going to be pulling the access panel, and checking out if it's still lubed. If it is, I'll be replacing the motor - which I think is the problem, in that it's just dying out

#4 admin

admin

Tech Support

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:35 PM

I had that happen and it was the white nylon gear binding up inside the motor, eventually it will stop working entirely. I think there replacement gears are $25 and are easy to replace, while you are in there you can free things up so it moves up and down smoothly. This may also save you from burning the motor up as well.
Make sure to add images of your truck to your personal photo album!!!

#5 Guest_AMFPT_*

Guest_AMFPT_*

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

Yeah you might want to take the cover off the tailgate and use lithium grease on the gears and the bracket that holds the window. Replacing the weatherstrip if it is bad is also not a bad idea.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:56 PM

Thanks it sounds a lot easier than I thought it was going to be!

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:39 AM

My rear window is slow to go up and down. Everytime I put it down I have to get it back up by going up a little until it stops and then back down a little, then back up some more until finally it get all the way up. Is this amotor problem or the tracks? I ma not sure it has anything to do with it, the rear defrost does not work. Any help would be appriciated.

I had the same problem with my tailgate window. It would go up and stop then go down and stop, til it just stop completely. I went and brought a new motor for the window. I put it in and the motor would not work. Also on my old motor it was a lot of grease on it so I know it wasn't the lube. I know it not the switch because I was able to move gears of the motor when it was out of the tailgate. Could someone give me a fix for the problem.

#8 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

I had the connector between the motor and the wiring harness go bad on mine and had to cut it out and change it over .. but I can get it to go down now but not up which I think is a grounding problem. The ground for the motor all goes through the dash switch so I am first going to reground then replace the dash switch to see if I can get it to finally work right anyways hope this helps some one out

#9 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:04 AM

Probably a day late on this, but my gearing went bad too. I found the gear replacement kit at CarQuest Auto Parts for about $15. I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to find at other stores as well.

Update-----
The kit is $21 and it comes with the gear and the grease. There is a 2-3 dollar core charge if you don't return the old destroyed one.

It's all one piece and slips right in. Before you start make sure you have a ratchet wrench that won't require an adapter. The space in there is tight, and it may not fit in there if you do. I still have to tighten the top bolt, but I'll get it tomorrow when I put in the glass.

Brad

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users