Four Wheel Drive Hubs

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_christy_*

Guest_christy_*

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:22 AM

Is it hard to change a manual hub to an automatic hub?

#2 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:49 AM

Nope

#3 kikenhorse

kikenhorse

Motor Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Restoring and updating by B2. Finding upgrade parts and acessories.. Having a good looking D.D.. The way Henry made it. I love the Cologne Motor.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:29 PM

Ah. Come on Bronco Commander give this new guy a chance to get used to all us Bronco Nuts!!
Give him a little help.
He just joined today his first post.
Help him.
One chance. O K :o)

#4 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:14 PM

don't some of the rangers ans bII's have the "flange" type hubs? if so and you've got this style hub system. There's very few market support for em and cost $$. be cheaper hitting the wrecking yards looking for the knuckles out from a model witout the flange style system. correct me if i'm wrong here guy?

but if you ain't got the flange type system it's a easy 10min swap once you find the auto hubs. which in the kits it should tell if any extra pieces needed. Like on some fullsizes with 3 screw auto hubs you need a kit to swap em to manuals. IMO i'd leave them manual, mch more reliable then auto's. If your in places where you feel ya need 4wd you can drive in 2wd with the hubs locked and pull back to 4high while moving. then just keep um unlock when not needed.

what year is your ranger or bII. i'll do some digging on the hub system you've got.

#5 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

Heh, well, ask a simple question...

since there was no truck information, I gave the best answer I could - never said it would be cheap, or hard, but w/o knowing the year of the Ranger, that's the best answer I could think of

(psst, I think 'he' is a she... unless 'he' spells his name funny)

#6 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:04 AM

lol thats kinda funny. but i would totally forget about changing the hubs. sure its a pain in the ass (or should i say buttocks) to get out and lock the hubs they are just more reliable then the automatic hubs. just my opinion

#7 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

I think that would depend on the person's need for 4wd. Most people need/want it to just lock the front end while driving to work in bad weather, or stick to the bunny trails while offroading. For those people, the auto hubs would work just fine. Hell, I used to keep a pair of auto hubs as spares (might even stll have em around somewhere)

#8 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:08 PM

if you flip those auto hubs upsidedown they make good ashtrays

#9 Guest_CSMGJ_*

Guest_CSMGJ_*

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:03 AM

I have a '90 Bronco II w/ auto trans and auto hubs. I would then assume then that it would be easy to convert from auto to manual hubs. Once I get my rig so it's start, I'd like to make my auto hubs into ashtrays. Both me and my brother in law have '90s with autohubs and niether of them work.

#10 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:49 PM

warn makes a set of hubs for the ranger,bII's

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users