Power Windows

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Becca_*

Guest_Becca_*

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

I have an 89 Ford Bronco, full size. The windows are powered and they are stuck in the down positon. I can not manually get them up. Any suggestions on how I can get them to go up until I can get them fixed? I do not know what the problem is as to why they are not working either.

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:26 PM

First thing to do is check the fuse for the pwr windows, and see if the wires going into the doors are not shorted out or broken.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:35 PM

if neither window goes up check your switch,idiotzone (autozone)sells cheap test lights buy one and check the switch plug for power,and check the motor to see if it gets power too.

#4 Guest_commrad_*

Guest_commrad_*

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

most of the times that i've ran into this it's the way ford built the power window gear box, 3 triangle (kinda) nylon drive things, they fall apart like crazzy.

if you have an assortment of nuts around your place you can get your window working pretty fast yourself.

First pop the door pannel, now the hard part, remove the power window mottor (I drill 1/2" holes in the sheet metal where the screws are located (I have small hands and I have problems getting to the bolts with out doing this). After you get the motr out however you choose to do. remove the small bolts that hold the cover plate that the drive gear goes thru and pop the cover off (the grease that is in there is nasty so be prepared, not to mention it most likely has those 3 shattered drive things floating in it jamming the thing up), clean all the grease and broken parts out, find a nut that fits in place of the crap ford put in there, I can't remmber the exact size, just the closest thing that allows the drive gear to fit back into place and not allow it to turn unless the motor turns. once you find em, leave them in the gear box and repack with grease, reinstall the drive gear and cover and reinstall.

Oh yeah, incase you can't fidgure this out, after you remove the motor and cover and clean the crap out, hook the motor up and make sure it works after all the crap is removed, it may have burned out due to being jammed by the drive crap that broke. if it doesn't work, buy a new one :(

I'm about to do the pass. side of my 89 F-150 if you need pictures or anything let me know.

#5 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:03 PM

If the motor goes out when the glass is all the way down, how do you get to the motor? Ford says to break the glass, but I know there has to be a better way?
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.

#6 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:55 AM

brfore you go do some crazy stuff like break the window do he voltage check. i wouldnt recommend a test light because well they suck. they will tell you if you have power but not how much. you can have power but not have enough to get the window up. if you dont have power to the motor trace the wires and if you cant find the problem do what i did to my old mercury marquis. take one of those battery packs that they use to jump start your car and hook it up to the switch that will provide 12 volt of power to get your window up. now be careful though because it will also provide ALOT of amps which could cause a fire so watch what you are doing and if your battery pack has an amp controller turn it all the way down. remeber your window can only take about 15 amps safely but those packs put out around 150 amps. also remaber that it only takes .01 amps to kill you. SO I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS AT HOME. (end legal disclaimer) but if it works that window will shoot right up then if your motor wasnt burned out it just might be when your done but hey you just want the window up right.

#7 Guest_Becca_*

Guest_Becca_*

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:49 AM

I will try what you said to do and look for. I do know that the fuse is good, and that there is power going to the windows. I already checked that out. The door panels are off, and I did try to just push the windows up my self. The only luck I had was with the rear door. I bought this truck like it is now, and don't know too much about it. I appreciate your help and replies. I will try to work on it this weekend. I am ready to get this thing on the road. Too cool out to ride with the windows down! If I can just get the darn things up right now, I would be happy until I can get the extra cash to get them fixed like they need to be. I am only one woman trying to do what is supposed to be my husbands job!!! Thanks!

#8 BLADE262US

BLADE262US

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Ford there is nothing else =)

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:39 AM

I have done this in times of desperation like when its about to start downpooring . Pull the door panel off . Theres a harness in middle of door that goes to window motor the wire colors are red and yellow unplug it trying to not break the plastic clips . Now take a battery charger and put one lead to the red and one to the yellow dont touch the leads or they will spark . One way makes it go up and reversing the battery charger clips will make it go the other way . If that dont work then the motor must be bad but unlikely both at the same time . Hope that helps :)

#9 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:43 AM

wow that fix sounds so familiar didnt i just say that in the upper reply? not knocking on you man its jut a repeat post with out the safety lecture.

#10 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 04:38 PM

That's all good info, and I have seen it done to raise the tailgate glass, too. That's if the motor still works, and/or if the gear isn't stripped out. It's been a while since it happened to me, but i was thinking there was a way to unhook the glass from the regulator. I know that can be done on the tailgate, but not sure on the doors. The last time a window motor went out in my Bronco, the previous owner took it to Ford. They put a new motor and a new glass for just under $400!!!

#11 Guest_letrain_*

Guest_letrain_*

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:08 PM

thats retarded, take of your door panel, then u'll see where the "arm" mounts to the bottom of the metal on the window, its only stuck into plastic, it may be hard, but pull it out away from the window and it should pop out, then slide ur window up and tape it, cause it will slam down by itsself it u do'nt, and that hurt when you've got ur arm in there, i've replaced my motor once on my driver window, and have to re-attach the metal to the bottom of the glass 3 times, so i know what i'm takin about, if u need pictures i can take some and show you what i'm talking about.

to take the motor out u'll want to drill some holes, i really should send pictures to show where, when u see the pic it will be obvious. PM me or e-mail me becca, i can definatly help with this! then its just a part for 60-80 bucks at broncograveyard.com, and ur done

you welcome becca,

By the way, my bronco is a 91, so its identical

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users