Photo

hot rodding the 300 I6 in my 86 F150....

No replies to this topic

#1 howsyourcargo

howsyourcargo

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hello, I am new to my Ford 300 I6 but not a new "auto enthusiast". My car has let me sit and it will be laid up for a while until it is road worthy again and I have been enjoying driving my "beater truck". So much so that I want to soup it up a little. My goals are low end torque and as much as reasonable w/out going into forced induction. So far I have found out that the 240 I6 has smaller combustion chambers than my 300 I6 so if I find a 240 head I gain roughly half a point in compression. Milling the head gives me a little more and high 9's should be more than adequate. I understand a little bowl work and some mild porting are all that is needed for headwork. The Offenhouser dual port manifold seems to give the highest velocity intake charge in the rev band where I expect to do 90% of my driving which is idle to 3000 rpm. I want to build the motor for how I will use it most of the time. I found several header manufacturers and they are all using either 1.5" or 1.625" primaries. I think only Hooker advertises that theirs are "tuned". I forget what Clifford said about theirs. And either a 390 cfm (what Offenhauser has experience with) or a 470 cfm Holley seems to be all that is needed. (both are 4 barrels) The cam in the 260 - 265 range should be perfect for me. My truck is a 86 F150 4WD, manual trans, and currently stock except for some 31" tires.

So does anyone out there have any experience with their truck that they wish to share? I am wondering if there is a significant difference in the different headers available. Does the extra eigth inch in header primary pipe size matter? I understand that a crossover pipe downstream of the 3 to 1 collectors eliminates a resonance frequency in the cab. Any thoughts on if I need to use duals or is a slightly larger single pipe going to produce results similar to duals? Mathematically a properly sized single should flow as much as duals and be cheaper since I only have one muffler to buy instead of two but I know reality is sometimes different in what works. Does anybody close to Lancaster PA have a useable 240 cylinder head or any other parts that I might be able to use? Please contact me at [email protected] as I am not sure I will be able to find my post again and follow this thread.

Thank you,

Chris

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users