No replies to this topic

#1 Spike

Spike

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Hello,
I'm new to this site and I'm looking for help. I'm trying to "wake up" the sleeping beast (six years) in my garage, a 1979 F-100. So far I've squirted "Marvel mystery oil" into the cylinders, bought new plug wires, and plan to change the coolant and oil, also I need a new heater hose battery, and possibly new rubber in the fuel lines, as these pieces feel hard and brittle. The last time the truck ran it was rough and I had coolant puddled on the intake manifold, so I'm trying to get it started so a mechanic can look at and determine if it worth saving or not. In other words, I want to keep things cheap for now.

Whew! That was my intro, now here is my question:
Somebody told me to drop the tank and clean out the old fuel with kerosene. Great. This presents me with a chance to fix a problem I've had for years, which is the truck has an older 73-79 style bed on it, but with the older external screw-off gas filler cap (no little ihnged door like the '79). To fill it, I have to reach up under the truck, unscrew the cap, then stick the hose through the hole. I know it's full when gas starts to leak up and out of the little vent hose (I'd like to fix that too). The tank is new from JC Whiteney and has two holes for filler lines: one main and a smaller vent.

How can I match up the filler lines with the older bed? Help!

thanks,
Spike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users