Problem With Tailgate Window

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ha-y-n Bronco_*

Guest_ha-y-n Bronco_*

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:20 AM

I have a 95 Bronco and the tailgate window won't work when I use the key. But it does work when I use the switch inside the cab. Does anyone know what likely went wrong and how to fix it, it is a real pain in the @$$ :mad:

#2 Guest_jacque_strap_*

Guest_jacque_strap_*

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:04 AM

What is most likely the cause is just a short or broken wire. The best way to check is to take off the inside panel - then with the tailgate down, close the latches on the sides with your fingers. Then carefully put the window up with the gate down - this will give you much more access inside the gate. Inside you'll see the master cylinder - when turned one way or the other is pushes little switches in. You might try pushing them with your finger - just to test (this little relay switch might be shot also). Then I believe there is only a few wires running from that switch, you can trace them back just by looking for faults or use a voltage tester. Hope this helps a little.

#3 Guest_DanaDRD_*

Guest_DanaDRD_*

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:25 AM

I had the same problem a few years ago, window would work from the inside switch but not from the key at the tailgate. Here was my problem: The wire harness extending from the driver�s side quarter panel out to the tailgate had a broken wire. The wire broke due to the continuous folding and unfolding of the harness as the tailgate was opened and closed over the years. To check if this is your problem locate the wire harness found between the tailgate and drivers side quarter panel. The wire harness is easily visible with the tailgate down (open). Remove the black outer sheathing from the wire bundle. There should be anywhere from 6 to 10 wires inside this sheathing (the number of wires depends on weather you have rear defrost or not). Carefully check each wire for broken or heavily worn areas along the wire insulation. Correct any problem you may encounter. You should re-wrap the wires with electrical tape so that future tailgate usage doesn�t cause any future electrical problems. Hope this helps-------Good Luck

#4 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:48 AM

I also had the same problem. it was just a broken wire. same solution as above.^

#5 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:54 PM

I had / have the same problem with my 90. The way I fixed it was to run a wire from the battery to the harness behind the taillight. I'm not sure if Ford kept the same wire colors but on the 86 - 91 broncos you want the black wire with the white stripe. If the wires are ok between the tailgate and quarter panel this might be your problem.
I am also having the trouble with the wires between the gate and quarter. I wish I could find a replacement harness for this as well as the rest of the truck.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#6 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:26 AM

Bronco grave yard has new wiring harnesses for the tailgates

tailgate