How Do I Know If I Need U-joints?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickmobile67_*

Guest_nickmobile67_*

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:48 PM

Simple question. My truck has 43K miles on it, and it's already on it's second set of u-joints. The truck sat for a while, but they were changed before it sat, now I'm driving it again.

Anyway, I was greasing the truck after I did the oil change last weekend and the rear ujoint into the rear took a lot of grease. I also notice sometimes when coming to a stop, even with the clutch in, just before the truck stops there is kind of a clunk, but not all the time. I'm thinking I'll probably have to put ujoints in it soon, but I hope not. If I do need them, how long do could I leave it? I'd like to hold off until may or june when i'll have more time to work on it after the semester is out, and with the nicer weather if it's off the road for a day or two I can drive my '67 stang to work instead.

Any imput?

#2 Guest_azrockrat_*

Guest_azrockrat_*

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

well my advice is this if you think you need them go ahead and change them

#3 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:47 AM

you could hold off for a little while but you are taking risks and you will need to replace them anyway. mabey you should invest into a good set that will last you a little longer. they would save a lot of hassle. just get it done.

#4 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

What brand of U-joints ya been using? If Autozone U-joints thats your main trouble of em wearing out. Every joint i've bought from them does good to last a month. try the brute's from NAPA they cost a little more the Zone joints. but are covered for life and much stronger. They've held up well to the beating they've taken offroad. also the double carnation joint thats at the front on the shaft at the Tcase if it's bad it'll throw the best joints made quick. i'd give it a look over too. like stated above holding off on the joints can lead to worse things. down time should just be a hour or 2 to replace them.

#5 Guest_Tanker53_*

Guest_Tanker53_*

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

It really depends on certain things. I myself had a problem with U-joints in the rear drive shaft. They were sweaking so bad i couldnt take it. You are risking the shaft breaking off if you going at high speeds. It was very simple replacing them and cost me $35 as opposed to parts and labor for$167. I would go ahead and replace them.

#6 Guest_Tanker53_*

Guest_Tanker53_*

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

Forgot to mention on last replay that my bronco is and 88 and the u-joints have been on there for 15 years so its probably not the u-joints making the clunk. Good luck with it.

#7 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

Set your parking brake, and put the transmission in neutral. Crawl under there, and start shaking things down. While you're down there, check your driveline angles, and your Tcase and axle pinion angles.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users