1983 F100 Rims/Tire Selection

1 reply to this topic

#1 Dwayne

Dwayne

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

I recently bought a 1983 F100 2WD Long Bed Pick-up Truck. I'm looking to get the grandpa/stock wheels with hubcaps replaced with something a little meaner. I checked the original issue tire selections for this model and they show a size 15 tire/rim. I was wanting to know, since the truck is stock, can I go with a 16 or 17 inch tire/rim without any modifications such as a lift kit? It appears I should have plenty of clearance, but would hate to order the rims online only to find out I should have stuck with a 15 inch size. I'm not looking to go with mudder type tires, just a general on/off road style. Basically something which won't kill me on mileage or give an undersized appearance, but will fill up the wheel well areas and ride/handle nicely. Thanks in advance for any assistance/recommendations you can provide me.

#2 dirtysnatch1

dirtysnatch1

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

You should have no problem running a 255/65R17 on a 17x8" wheel. They should be 5 on 5.5" bolt circle. You might be able to fit 255/70R17 and they make both sizes in a General Ameritrac or a BFG Rugged Trail T/A.

Edited by dirtysnatch1, 17 February 2009 - 07:19 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users