74 4x4

2 replies to this topic

#1 gordee

gordee

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

so i have a d44 out of a 74 bronco that will not lock in i replaced the lockouts that didnot work so i took it apart and eveything seams fine axle shafts are in good shape power loc diff looks good but it would not lock in if you lock in lockouts it seams like it locks untill you put torque on it then it slips could the lock outs be bad i just replaced them but thats the only thing i can think of

#2 chillsam

chillsam

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

so i have a d44 out of a 74 bronco that will not lock in i replaced the lockouts that didnot work so i took it apart and eveything seams fine axle shafts are in good shape power loc diff looks good but it would not lock in if you lock in lockouts it seams like it locks untill you put torque on it then it slips could the lock outs be bad i just replaced them but thats the only thing i can think of

Check the springs n the hubs make sure they r not fatigued & have correct preload "pressure"also check splines on axle shafts & wheel hubs make sure theyre not worn.

#3 gordee

gordee

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Check the springs n the hubs make sure they r not fatigued & have correct preload "pressure"also check splines on axle shafts & wheel hubs make sure theyre not worn.

i have the axle apart the axle shafts are fine i replaced the springs and the plate behind the spring befor i took axle apart someone told me the hub nut might need to be adjusted to lock in more one side locked a bit easier that the other did so i am going to put it back together and try that internaly everything looks good

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users