92 f150 4.9

4 replies to this topic

#1 tumblemoose

tumblemoose

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Battery cables were corroded at the terminals, cleaned em up. Finally started after a jump.

I noticed the voltmeter on the dash was waving wildly back and forth towards 18, the engine idle was normal.

Decided to put a load on, so I fired up the A/C and turned the fan on. Gauge steadied and went to center. Later that day the truck started fine but still had the wavering vm. Went out today - the battery is dead again and it would not start.

Could anyone please narrow this down for me?

#2 armykuwait0506

armykuwait0506

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Battery cables were corroded at the terminals, cleaned em up. Finally started after a jump.

I noticed the voltmeter on the dash was waving wildly back and forth towards 18, the engine idle was normal.

Decided to put a load on, so I fired up the A/C and turned the fan on. Gauge steadied and went to center. Later that day the truck started fine but still had the wavering vm. Went out today - the battery is dead again and it would not start.

Could anyone please narrow this down for me?

not too sure but could be the alternator maybe the voltage regulator went bad and its makin it spike like that take that in to autozone or a parts store and they can test it for you other than that im not too sure

#3 JHengl

JHengl

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Check your fuse box for blown fuses and also check to see if something is drawing power will the truck is shut off if so follow the wiring back to the source of the problem. also check to see if something is turning its on at night it can happen with if something is shorting out. be careful not short out the voltmeter.

#4 1992F250

1992F250

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Check the out put at the terminals from the Alternater/Generator (forgive the spelling) to see if it's acting the same as the gauge. The two problems may not be related.

#5 94 f250 guru

94 f250 guru

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I like to work on and upgrade my truck and my friends also. I enjoy working on diesels more due to my training. I am an avid outdoors man to include hunting fishing and just about anything else.
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1992

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

I just had the same problem with my truck. It is the alternator. It is a cheap fix if you can get the alternator/voltage regulator combo.
Stan Ouellette
a.k.a. 94 f250 guru

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users