2 replies to this topic

#1 burr

burr

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

I have found and ox locker for the front of my truck dana 44. But i was wondering what would you recommend for the ford 9 inch in the rear i need something that will work on mud, snow, and ice.

Edited by burr, 22 October 2008 - 07:58 PM.

#2 79Crewcab

79Crewcab

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:52 PM

Well thats going to be a tricky one, mud is easy a Detroit, Snow same thing, Ice really needs open or limited slip but can be difficult to turn and has a tendency to push the front out of a turn so I would say a selectable locker like ARB maybe. Just leave it open when on ice or you won't be able to steer same goes for the front. Like I said its hard to say really. If your winters are mild or short it would not be to bad. If they are long like our past one here was it might be a problem to run a full time locker. I hope this helps :D
Go Big or Go Home
'79 Supercab 460 3" body, 6" suspention lift 38.5" Boggers Ox lockers Frt and Rr

#3 johnfacundus

johnfacundus

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

I lived in wisconsin for awhile and I used a ford equal-loc which is now an old style limited slip which preloads the clutches with a belleville spring that is not real strong. However, the Ford posi unit can be adjusted while on the bench by lowering the preload with thinner shims. Break-away low limit 50 ft lbs, mud and snow 75 ft- lbs, street racing 100 ft-lbs, and drag strip 125-150 ft-lbs. I would try around 50 ft-lbs. If you are that concerned about ice. Most cities salt the streets and ice is not a "long term " problem. But maybe it is where you live. (However. don't be suprised one wheel in mud and one with good traction break-away might be experienced causing you to lightly apply the brake to load the clutches using the spider gears )
That's the cheep route! They make differentials with dash control to lock and unlock the rear axle. Detroit also makes what they call a soft lock. My friends don't like a locker because as locking operates it tends to drift the vehicle left and right on dry pavement.
good luck!
PS Personnaly, I wouldn't be too concerned about ice because you have very little control anyway.

Edited by johnfacundus, 23 November 2008 - 02:48 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users