#1 jpilgrim

jpilgrim

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have a '72 F250 Camper Special with the 360 V8.

Bought it two and a half years ago on CraigsList to help with hauling as I cleaned out my late grandmothers house (and because I was having that itch again for a vintage ride). I've sunk a fair amount of cash into it: many new seals and gaskets, all new power steering. I'm good with electronics and with carpentry, but not very experienced with engines and auto mechanics.

It was riding great yesterday, and now today it cranks and barely starts. You have to floor it to keep it going and it spews gas from near one of the exhaust manifolds. It dies as soon as you let off the gas.

Here's a link to a video of the engine as I try to start it:
http://johnpilgrim.net/FordF250/

So I have two questions:

First, any idea what's going on with the engine. Again, it was running perfectly yesterday.

Second, any recommendations for a good mechanic in San Francisco for a vintage Ford truck like this. I had one I liked in Mountain View, near my grandma's place, but I don't get down their anymore.

Thanks for your help!

John

(Sorry for cross-posts.)

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

pilgrim- welcome to the zone, good looking vintage truck, i think the 360 are good truck motors.

if the truck barely starts , for starters i would have the battery,alternator, voltage regulator checked out at local part store to see if theres a problem there.
as far as keeping it running, try replacing the fuel filter first at carburetor, or it could be a idle speed problem, or it may need just to be rebuilt. keep us posted.

#3 jpilgrim

jpilgrim

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

pilgrim- welcome to the zone, good looking vintage truck, i think the 360 are good truck motors.

if the truck barely starts , for starters i would have the battery,alternator, voltage regulator checked out at local part store to see if theres a problem there.
as far as keeping it running, try replacing the fuel filter first at carburetor, or it could be a idle speed problem, or it may need just to be rebuilt. keep us posted.

Thanks for the response! Good to be here.

The engine cranks fine and the carb seems to be getting sufficient gas.
But the engine barely runs: you have to keep the gas floored and it shuts down the second you let up.
I think you're right about the carb.

Some of the cylinders are firing but from the sound and feel, not all are.

Here's another clue:
There's a metal tube coming off of the passenger side exhaust manifold, and going to the carb, that seems to be detached:

Posted Image

I looked through my '72 Truck shop manual but couldn't find what it was.

I'm curious what is that tube and could it be the source of some of my troubles?

Thanks again!
John

PS: the car lives parked on a hill--passenger side uphill, drivers side down. And the gas is blowing out of the gasket on the downhill exhaust manifold.

#4 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

sounds like it may need a tune up if you think cylinders arent firing. that tube you see is part of the emissions, mine fell off to but it didnt bother with the performance of truck, but hold on to it, if you decide to restore it back to original one day youll find out that some of those parts are hard to come by. (im restoring one now to original).

is it gas exhaust or pure gas blowing out?

#5 jpilgrim

jpilgrim

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

is it gas exhaust or pure gas blowing out?

I couldn't tell exactly which was blowing out, as I was in the cab cranking the engine and holding the gas pedal down.
(The camera was on a gooseneck clamp.)
From what I did see, it seemed a mix of both exhaust gas (smokey) with mainly pure unburned gas (wet). Maybe just pure gas though.
--JP

#6 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

im still thinking but im wondering if you have unburned fuel has something to do with the cylinder not firing maybe fouling out the plug, you might have a cylinder head problem. if its just smoke from exhaust, you may just have a leaky gasket

#7 jpilgrim

jpilgrim

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for all your input this week. It really helped me get up to speed on what to be looking at.
Had my truck towed to the mechanic this morning and got it back this afternoon.
Fortunately the problems weren't too deep. Compression tests indicated that the engine was still sound.
The choke was stuck closed and a piece had broken off, which was making the float stick.
So way too much gas and not enough air.
And the exhaust manifold gasket was old and failing at most cylinders.
So the choke was replaced with a used one, the carb cleaned up but not rebuilt, the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced on both sides, and the choke warmer tube reattached to the manifold.
Runs great now, better than it was before it crapped out on Tuesday.
A big shout out to Rescino's Performance Engines in San Francisco for doing great work on the truck.
And thanks again to everyone who helped out in this forum!
Best,
John

(Sorry for cross posts.)

#8 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Glad to hear the truck is running.

choke warmer tube (so thats what its called) do you know how it was reattached?

#9 jpilgrim

jpilgrim

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

Glad to hear the truck is running.

choke warmer tube (so thats what its called) do you know how it was reattached?

Thanks!

I asked the mech how he reattached it. Seems he stuffed it back down the hole in the manifold and set it by tapping it in lightly with a hammer.

Made sense to me. It's not that high pressure, the manifold is all rusted, the application doesn't really require a fitting or soldering.

I'll re-look to see how much if any they drilled or reamed out the hole in the manifold.

Cheers,
JP

#10 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

its called the choke heat tube or stove pipe. usually the way to reair those is to remove the broke off piece inside of the manifold with a drill bit and then lightly tap in the old one or a new one to take its place. when drilling it you do not want to go larger than the stove pipe. just enough to eat it out of the manifold hole. when looking fo ra replacement for that piece call it a stove pipe or choke heat tube.

#11 Blueberries

Blueberries

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

sounds like it may need a tune up if you think cylinders arent firing. that tube you see is part of the emissions, mine fell off to but it didnt bother with the performance of truck, but hold on to it

#12 Jeniffer

Jeniffer

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:2002

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

There are various auto repairing shop which you can visit some of them are # Jim's Motor City
Moplace Iocksmith
Marty Lemos Truck & Auto Rprs
Firestone Tire & Service
Selecta Auto Body
Cardelli Motorsports
l & m Auto Repairs
Calco
Gilman Auto Electrical
j c Tire & Brake Svc
Mekatron Premier Automotive
Ma's Auto
Yamato Auto Repair
Quik Smog
Hope so this list will be beneficial to you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users