Steering Question

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_youngblue_*

Guest_youngblue_*

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:47 PM

1973 F100 4x4 390 C6. Has manual power assist steering. I installed a 1978 Dana 44 front axle for the disc brakes (whole axle). Now the assist steering doesn't fit. Can I mount the 78 power steering box on my frame in the same position as it was on the 78? Drill holes and match the 78 F150 set up. I mocked it up and see that I would have to get a 90 Degree oil filter adapter and a teliscoping steering shaft. Is there any thing else I am missing about this? Geometry? Is this worth the trouble? Please help!!!! Youngblue.

#2 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

You will have to beef up the frame in that area. The steering box attachment area on the Bronco is boxed in and the bolt holes have "through tubues" welded in to prevent crushing of the frame. You will also need a longer sterring shaft as the gearboxes are not in the same place.

#3 Guest_Guest_youngblue_*

Guest_Guest_youngblue_*

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:41 AM

I have the 78 truck in my shop next to my 73, both on jack stands. the 78 steering box is mounted approx. 24 inches from the tip of the frame, next to the track arm bracket. My manual box was mounted near the radiator. If I mount the 78 box 24 inches from the tip of my frame, (73) then basically, I would be in the same place as on the 78 truck. I would have to get a 90 degree oil filter adapter, a shorter steering shaft, and a drop pitman arm. Probably a adjustable drag link in order to center my steering. The box on both trucks is mounted to welded on nuts only through one side or wall of the frame so I don't think it would matter about beefing it up ? the 78 doesn't seem to be beefed up. Can any one who has done this sort of thing help?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users