1978 F250 460 Swap

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jnordby_*

Guest_jnordby_*

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:40 AM

Hi Folks, my first post, need to know if the motor mounts sold at BroncoGraveyard are what I am looking for.

I have a 1978 F250 Crew Shorty 4x4 I am restoring, someone swapped a nice running 460 into it. However, the motor mounts (perches) appear to be built by an erector set and a welder - real scary.

I believe this had a 351/400M in it, probably didn't come any other way. It has a reinforced frame parts for a plow setup on it, right where the perches bolt. The mounts on the motor, to me, look stuck. They sat right on the perches, and a long bolt with a cotter pin held them there.

Looking at a 1979 F350 I have with a 400M, it looks like I need factor perches to match the frame, then use the conversion mounts sold at BroncoGraveyard to finish the job. I also need a Luk clutch for this project.

Thanks for any pre-purchase advice.

jon

#2 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:45 PM

yes it had a 351m/400 in it to start with, Ford never put a 460 in a factory 4x4 so it was swapped in. Yes the mounts at broncograveyard is what you'll need. To see what all is needed to put a 460 in look at www.LandLproducts.com

#3 Guest_jnordby_*

Guest_jnordby_*

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info.

Since my 460 was already in (and now out for seals, gaskets, engine bay cleanup), I think I really only need the mounts and perches at this point. I sure hope at least!

thanks, jon.

#4 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

yeah, thats all you should need. The rest is used depending on what the 460 came out of. Most take them from 70 model cars since thats where there easiest found. some of the brackets interfer with the frame and such. Since the motor was already in the truck the rest will be fine. I just gave the link to show what all can/need to swap in some 460's.

#5 Guest_jnordby_*

Guest_jnordby_*

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:17 PM

Thanks a ton Txquadhunter, extremely helpful info.

OK, I found the towers in a 1978 Bronco, 351M. Would these work with the BroncoGraveyard 460 mounts to put this in right? I'm pretty sure they will, and they look right, but that is just eyeballing it.

Also, any ideas how to round up what Luk clutch to order for this? I've no idea where the donor 460 came from, so I don't know what flywheel it is.

11" disk, 6 3/8's center mount hole to center of pressure plate, 6 holes to mount the pressure plate.

What flywheels fit these when someone is converting? From a 390? 429? Or from the 400M itself? No numbers on the flywheel or pressure plate.

Thanks again folks for any suggestions.

jon

#6 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

the mounts on the bronco should fill your bill.

as for the clutch most any 11" should bolt to it. Trying to find what your flywheel came on is a hard part. depending on the year the 460 is. early the FE 390 flywheels will work so will that early 460 flywheels. late model it'll be a 460 only flywheel. The 351m/400 flywheel won't work. when you order your luk clutch any 11" clutch should be the same. If in dought try calling one of the clutch places they should be able to fill ya in.

this site should help

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/

#7 Guest_jnordby_*

Guest_jnordby_*

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Broncopimp,

I'll get the mounts! That way my "mutt" of a truck will have some bronco in it too - makes parts from 6 trucks and counting in this one....bed from a 1975, doors from a different crew cab, axles from a 1979 F350, it goes on, and on. You guys know the drill.

The 11" disks almost all fit, it was the bolt holes on the pressure plates we couldn't match up. From 7.3L diesels, to 11" disks off chevy's, etc. I'll focus the guy on 390 FE and 429/460 donors to see if we can match a pressure plate. Worst case, I get a disk, turn the flywheel, and in she goes!

thanks,
jon

#8 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

Thats not a mutt of a truck until you add other brand other that Ford to it. your upgrading yours for the better.

follow the link to my pics in my sig. to see a full "mutt" of a truck. Cheby Luv body, Jeep dana 30 frontend w/cheby 6 lug outters to match Toy rearend, Ford 4cyl. power plant, 5 gallon remove able boat gas tank strapped in the bed and the list goes on..lol real cheap light mud toy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users