redneckboy1988

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:my truck
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1986

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

i had a 1986 ford f150 with a inline 6, and i was driving down the road in it one day, and all of a sudden i heard a hard slapping noise coming from about my gas tank.. surely enough it was the rear driveshaft beating up against the plastic part of the gas tank.. i changed the universal joints, front and back, but whenever i pulled back out to see if it would quit slapping it didnt, so i was wondering if it would be a rear end problem or a transmission problem.. please help me if you have any information about it.. its greatly appreciated because i want that truck back soo bad.. thank yall for reading

Edited by redneckboy1988, 28 December 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

When you said that it did not quit slapping, did the shaft break again? The shaft maybe out-of-balance. If its 4wd, you can run without the rear shaft to see if the problem is still the rear end without the shaft.

#3 redneckboy1988

redneckboy1988

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

When you said that it did not quit slapping, did the shaft break again? The shaft maybe out-of-balance. If its 4wd, you can run without the rear shaft to see if the problem is still the rear end without the shaft.

nosir, the driveshaft never did break. it could possibly be warped. but i cant find a driveshaft in a junkyard nowheres! and wouldnt that ruin your transfer case if you ran it in 4wd all the time?

#4 johnnyr

johnnyr

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1983

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

nosir, the driveshaft never did break. it could possibly be warped. but i cant find a driveshaft in a junkyard nowheres! and wouldnt that ruin your transfer case if you ran it in 4wd all the time?

Could be your gas tank, have you checked your straps?
I had mine fall off while i was riding down the road. Just put 3/4 of a tank in her. was soo lucky i didn't blow up.

Also, you can run it in four wheel drive w/o your rear driveshaft as long as your front u joints are good.
essentially, the transfer case is always running when it's in 2wheel high.

#5 redneckboy1988

redneckboy1988

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

Could be your gas tank, have you checked your straps?
I had mine fall off while i was riding down the road. Just put 3/4 of a tank in her. was soo lucky i didn't blow up.

Also, you can run it in four wheel drive w/o your rear driveshaft as long as your front u joints are good.
essentially, the transfer case is always running when it's in 2wheel high.

hmm i didnt know that. well they guy i traded it to wants 600 dollars back for it.. and it also needs the 4wd assembly in the left drivers side wheel.. =( idk where to get one of those

#6 lostin90s

lostin90s

old part is good part s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Wrecking yards , my kids , places with no cell phone service, and Centurion F150 crew cabs

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

Want adds wrecking yards. The front axles for F150 been same since 80 so any should work . I get my parts from your area so I know there are back woods wrecking yards in the area . They have the older stuff. If no find let me know . I got several in my favorite yard .
Parts is parts

#7 redneckboy1988

redneckboy1988

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

Want adds wrecking yards. The front axles for F150 been same since 80 so any should work . I get my parts from your area so I know there are back woods wrecking yards in the area . They have the older stuff. If no find let me know . I got several in my favorite yard .

i appreciate ya.. u dont know where i can find me a good truck for around the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range do ya?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users