1 reply to this topic

#1 JBMCQ

JBMCQ

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

OK so my instrument cluster backing turned to dust like a vampire stuck with a wooden stake. What, they didn't make plastic in 1978?
Pulled the Inst Cluster. The gauges were not working after intermittent -on again off again. So I want to test the components.
I have both an old school good quality analog Tandy meter and a newer digital one I'll be using for tests.

1- Where best to get a replacement backing.
I noticed whole clusters on e-bay ,how risky is it that one of the used ones will turn
to dust in transit or shortly after I install it. I live in the desert southwest/ Tucson.
My trucks been here since 79. so mine lasted all that time.
A California used parts place has several + 1 in the mid west ,
would those tend to be in better or worse condition then being in our dry heat ?
Or what other options would be best ?

2- How to test the plastic circuit board / Check for continuity from point a to b ?
Does anyone have a picture of how it mounts in the backing ? as I said mine came out as dust.
How does the multiple power connector plug into the board? Are there locking clips in the backing that it attaches to ?
See the picture of mine - 1 of the copper contacts where the connector plugs in is just starting to get loose,
it's the one on the bottom right end. Is this a problem or potential one ?

3- Testing the ICVR ,my understanding is 12v in 5v or is it 5.5 v out.
On the (it looks like the plug on a 9V radio 1 small contact 1- large one ) which is input / output.
If replacement needed what are my options ?

4- While I have it out should I just replace all the bulbs? Are they reasonable $$ ? No I'm not wealthy ,thanks for asking.

Anyway thanks much for any help , I have already drank a toast for your assistance.
No I don't have a drinking problem. Only problem is being able to afford my Scotch habit !
AND I have to leave enough for the damn light bulbs.

Regards,
Jim M

Attached Thumbnails

• Myboard2 (Large).jpg
  • smile_cheers.gif

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978