#1 Hovland_Original

Hovland_Original

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1977

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey, i've recently been given a 77 F-150. And i was wondering if anyone has put any upgrades into a straight 6, i've seen you can get a cam, headers, carb, and intake for it which will increase the HP greatly. Has anyone done such a thing to their straight 6, if so how did yuo feel about the outcome and such?

Thanks for the help
"The Nasty Boys"

#2 6NAROWMAKESMGO

6NAROWMAKESMGO

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:muddin playin trail riding workin on trucks and spending good quality time with the family
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1992

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hey, i've recently been given a 77 F-150. And i was wondering if anyone has put any upgrades into a straight 6, i've seen you can get a cam, headers, carb, and intake for it which will increase the HP greatly. Has anyone done such a thing to their straight 6, if so how did yuo feel about the outcome and such?

Thanks for the help

i had a buddy put if i recall correctly a edlebrock four barrel 650 cfm carb on his 81 f-150 and it made the truck twice what it was b4 a lot more acceleration throttle response and just all around more power and performance and had a improvement mpg

#3 John White

John White

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1949

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

i had a buddy put if i recall correctly a edlebrock four barrel 650 cfm carb on his 81 f-150 and it made the truck twice what it was b4 a lot more acceleration throttle response and just all around more power and performance and had a improvement mpg

The 300 is an awesome motor, makes more torque than a 302, but uses the same rods/pistons. Many other parts interchange, but be careful of harmonic balancers, and flywheels since 300 is externally balanced, 302 internally. 7 main bearings, and good lubrication also means good engine life. A 300 HP motor normally aspirated is easy enough, and will shake up your V-8 buddies.

#4 DOC1

DOC1

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1976

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have a 76 Ford  pickup
 I had a 240 six cylinder in it. I added a set of headers on to it with a edlebrock  intake that would let you put a 4 barrel on it or a adapter plate that would take a two barrel
 I then played with both . It has been a few years
 I believe I went with a big 850 cfm 4 barrel and put smaller jets in it, also a big two barrel with bigger jets
 From that went to  a 300 six with same set up and did take the pistons out to a bigger size
 It was fun and it did make people take a look
 I finally ended up with a 302 with 351 Windsor heads . I do not remember which ones but the push rods are longer on one than the other so compare the 302 and the 351 push rods and go with the shorter . You have to look close as there is only a hair difference
 If you are in an emission county then that can be a problem
 If I time would have allowed I would have tried more tricks with the 240 and 300 as I think that is where the real fun is
 The problem with the 240/300 is being able to bore it out
 I did port and polish the head on  the 240/300

#5 Hovland_Original

Hovland_Original

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1977

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm looking at getting more bolt on power versus porting and all that other... more expensive ways. Anyone use the offhauser parts?

"The Nasty Boys"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users