F-150(s)
    Driving
    Racing
    4x4
    Custom Gear
    A/M Parts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1997

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

I have a 1989 302 5.0L engine and I'm wondering, what the best way to get more power out of it without taking it apart and replacing parts. (Bolt on up-grades) I have been told that by replacing the cat/converter with a high flow unit and larger diameter exhaust will be a large improvement. I have also been looking at intake kits to replace the stock air box, will that help any?

Thanks in advance for your replys!

1997 F-150 XLT -- 4.6L -- Automatic -- 2WD 3.55 Limited-Slip (ext Cab, reg Bed)

1984 F-350 XL -- 460in³ -- C6 -- 2WD (Crew Cab, Long Bed)

#2 jimmycoss

jimmycoss

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Absolutely love pickups!! Especially old Fords. Currently have an 66 with no rust and will upload pics soon. Had a bunch of pics on my other computer which took a dive. New computer now. Of course i have dreamss of making mine the ultimate Ford of all Fordom.. Hopefully it will happen. Lot of ideas but not alot of money, I guess that is normal. All the best, Jimmy
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1986

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hey there, A 5.0 is a good engine..those mustang guys make those things sing...as for bolt on stuff, I suppose you could bolt on a blower or a turbo set up...Changing the air box would help a little, maybe 5hp for a stock engine...But a blower or turbo would be a real noticable difference..I am not a professional mechanic, just a do it yourself guy, but have had so many cars and trucks since the 70's, I tried a lot of stuff. Good luck with the hp quest...

#3 jimmycoss

jimmycoss

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Absolutely love pickups!! Especially old Fords. Currently have an 66 with no rust and will upload pics soon. Had a bunch of pics on my other computer which took a dive. New computer now. Of course i have dreamss of making mine the ultimate Ford of all Fordom.. Hopefully it will happen. Lot of ideas but not alot of money, I guess that is normal. All the best, Jimmy
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1986

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oh yea, and dont forget the headers, and the high flow cat would be good for that. You can bolt it all on without taking your engine apart.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users