The Top

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sorny

Sorny

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Welding, Automotive, Computers.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

I have only had the bronco for a couple of weeks now, and people were saying that if you take the top off it will never seal properly again and howl down the highway. Is this true? And when it comes to taking off the top what all is involved.

#2 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:06 PM

Welcome to the board.
I have never had a problem with my roof, I take it off as much as I can. Ford uses a foam seal along the sides and a seal that is like your doors on the vertical and top sides so it will not mess it up when you take it off. In short Ford did it right when they designed the removable hard top seals.

As far as taking the top off that is easy. First you need to take the trim off inside to uncover the mounting bolts. There are about 15 7/16" bolts that you need to remove. Next you should have 2 people for this. Get inside and lift the back of the top up to break the seal then lift the front up then slide it back. Have your friend help guide the roof back and hold it so you can get out. best way is to carry it from the sides. It weighs about 175lbs but it is bulky.

Hope this helps
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#3 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

I easily got my top off with my little brother. It takes a T-50 torx bit to get the torx out of the hard top itself. It is very easy to do and after you take it off just bolt it back with every other bolt to make it easier. The weatherstip that came with my bronc wasnt as good as the update Ford product. I bought a new one and put it in and it seals back like a champ..IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN..easily. ;)

#4 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:58 PM

The older (pre-90) Broncos just had 13 regular 10mm bolts holding the top. Newer ones have the tamper-proof Torx bolts. They are fine-thread and it will take up to an hour to remove them the first time. The top only weighs 120 pounds, but it will seem like 200lbs. due to it's size. A muscular dude like myself can undo it alone, but it can be a challenge if the wind is blowing 30mph like it does all the time here! Do yourself a favor, and get a friend or two to help for the first time. Store the top on some old tires, not upside-down, not flat on the ground/floor, to protect the bottom seals and keep the top from warping. I have removed and installed my hardtop several times over the past few years, with no problems with leaks or fitment. I just hate the bulky top and like the open air of the Bronco, so I now only use the top when it gets cold, like below freezing. That happens 1 or 2 weeks in February every 2-3 years down here!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#5 Guest_Brad_*

Guest_Brad_*

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:39 AM

My understanding is that the tops are not removable after a particular year. I have a 1995 Bronco XLT. Can I remove this top ? Thanks.

#6 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:55 AM

Yes you can remove the top. the concern comes cause of the 3rd brake light that is mounted on it. Most places probally will not care if it iis on or off, unless just find a cop that wants to be a but head and knows at a glance what yr bronco it is ... but as I said they all do come off..

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:10 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any suggested websites or articles that give instructions for removing the top (esp since I need to deal with the breaklight issue) ?

#8 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:09 AM

it is the same way as stated earlier in this topic .. the only differance is on the drivers side is a wiring harness that you will have to unplug.

#9 Sorny

Sorny

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Welding, Automotive, Computers.

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info Guys. I know my friends are going to to start bugging me soon, so they can drive around with the top off. They already want to hook up a flat bed trailer to my truck and put the top and my friends 74 vega on the trailer and go to the drag races. :D

#10 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:51 PM

You are right in thinking you can't take the top off because of the high mount brake light. The law says that if your vehicle is equipped with it you can not remove it. Now come the good part, the law says you can't remove it but it doesn't say anything about changing it. As long as you put one back when you have the roof off you are fine.
If you have the spare tire on the back (outside) of the truck then you should get a "third-eye" light at your local auto parts store and install it inside the cab on the roof. All you will need to do is locate the 2 wires for the high mount brake light (probably in the group under the driver side door sill cover or behind the "b" post cover). Tap into these wires and hook up the new light with a plug so it is off when the roof is on.
If your spare tire is inside (over the right rear wheel well) you can go to a junk yard and find a spoiler that has one in it and mount it to the truck with the bolt holes that hold the roof on (you might have to modify the spoiler some). The trick will be to find one that is long enough. Wiring it would be as easy as getting another plug like the one on the roof and put it on the spoiler.
You shouldn�t have any trouble with the local law enforcement as long as you have something in its place that is working. Raven is right as well about them not knowing but if you get stopped for something else they might give you a ticket for that as well if you don�t have another one in its place.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#11 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:37 PM

Here is the website for removing the top....http://www.froggmann.com/Tech/Topremoval.htm

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users