Fuel Relay Switch

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

So today i put in a new gas tank on my 83 bronco. It started fine with a gallon or 2 of gas in it, then about 2 minutes later it stopped running. And wouldnt restart. When i turn the key to the on position i cant hear the fuel pump buzzing or an ything. Does this mean i have to press the fuel relay? and where is that at? what else could keep it from starting? it cranks...but doesnt get going. thanks for any advice. i really need my truck to run!!!
~Sarah

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

I think on your 83 Bronco, there is no electric fuel pump or relays and no buzzing sound, that's only on EFI or fuel-injected motors. The fuel pump is mechanical, meaning that the turning of the engine draws fuel from the tank. It is a major task to replace the tank, so give yourself a pat on the back for doing that. Just check to be sure you connected the lines right, and that you are getting fuel to the pump on the side of the motor. If you have gas at the pump but not at the carb, then the pump is bad.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:04 AM

I know you said you have about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank but try putting another three or four gallons in then try it again. The fuel pickup sits about an inch or two off the bottom of the tank so it might not be getting the fuel.
If you have plenty of fuel in the tank then check for fuel at the pump like justshootme84 says. Also did you replace the filter?
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#4 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

ok, i wasnt sure that it had an electrci fuel pump or not. No i didnt replace the filter. I will add some more gas today, then try it out. How do i check for fuel at the pump? and do you mean the pump ounted on the frame rail? or the one in the tank. Its gonna be difficult b/c i dont have accsess to a lift of any sort until next week (im on spring break, and the broncos at school!) thanks for your replys.
~sarah

#5 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

83B, your fuel pump is located on the engine, just trace the fuel line from the carburetor back to it.

If you are going to do work like this on the Bronco, it is a very good idea to buy a repair manual. "Haynes Repair Manual for Ford Pick-ups & Bronco 1980-1996" is the one you want, and it's only about $15 at any auto parts store like NAPA, Pep Boys, AUtoZone, etc. If you can't find a Haynes manual, there is a lso one from Chilton.

These manuals will explain in detail and with pictures how to chekc things like the fuel pump, troubleshoot most problems, and offer general info on your specific year model Bronco. I learn from it everytime I open mine up!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#6 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

i actaully just bought the chiltons today. I think im just not getting fuel to the engine... and i dont reall y have any equipment to test it or fix it. but i may try. thanks though
~sarah

#7 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:44 PM

I replaced the fuel filter and blew compressed air through the fuel lines with no luck. :( it sucks to have nothing to drive :( i just figure we got something hooked up wrong above the tank. i just have to wait till school starts again to check that out. i swear this ha s happened to me about every couple months. so i just hope that nothing is seriously wrong! [-o< also... if a vehicle is sagging in the rear end does that mean you have to replace the leaf springs? and is that a very difficult job?? thanks for any info!
Sarah

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

Replacing the rear leaf springs isn't a terrible hard job. Do you plan on getting new leafs or just getting your old ones redone.

#9 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:22 AM

im pretty sure i need new leaf springs, mine are all rusty and the pads are falling off, ,and they are just bad. i heard you have to take off the rear axle though.. sounds hard to me ^_^

#10 Sorny

Sorny

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Welding, Automotive, Computers.

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:20 AM

No its not hard all you have to do is pritty much take off the Ubolts that go around the axle, then unbolt your leafs. You might also want to watch that you don't snag your brake lines.

#11 Sorny

Sorny

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Welding, Automotive, Computers.

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:22 AM

I also see that I forgot to log in again. :rolleyes:

#12 Guest_83Bronco_*

Guest_83Bronco_*

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

sounds good! :D no more sagging rear end! every one always makes the projects i have sound harder then they are. but i will trust your expertise over my friends, since you own a bronco and they dont. :P

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users