#1 GotLift

GotLift

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:23 AM

Justshootme,
Nice rig! Which shocks did you go with? I haven't decided yet. I need six of them because of the dual shock set up on the front. Did your lift come with shocks and if so, how much did you spend. Once I sell my streetbike, I will have about $4k to spend on all the mods that I listed so money isn't going to be a problem. I figure $1300= Tires and Rims (quoted from Discount tire but doesn't include spare)
$1500-$2000 gears (quoted from local shop depending on a Posi unit)
$900-$1200 Lift Kit (Still looking for the best deal)

What do you think I will pay for a 6" SkyJacker lift with a drop pitman arm, 6 shocks, extended radius arms, and lifted spring packs? If I can afford it I would prefer to stay away from the blocks in the rear.

Thanks for your input. If anyone else has input I would appreciate it. Let's build a sweet Bronco! I'll be sure to post pictures along the way.

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

GotLift, thanks for the compliments on my 84 Bronco. Oh yeah, I can see you you spending that $4k really quick!!! If you want to buy the Skyjacker kit, look for an authorized dealer, like a local 4x4 shop. You can go online to the SkyJ site or places like RockyMountainSusp.com and get a price of what the kit should cost, because some shops will try to charge you more. THe complete Class II kit that I ended up with came with the SkyJ Hydro shocks. (I wanted Rancho 5000's but could not find them for a 6" lift). The Hydros are great! The total price of the kit will be about $1350-$1400, but i got it for a bit less due to a sponsor deal. Wheels and tires were $1100, and labor was about $450. Figure $3000-$3500 total drive-out price with all the bells and whistles.
I haven't changed gears yet (no money left) but plan to get that done this winter. That will run me about $1500 with parts and labor, so I'm looking at cutting that cost some by pulling the axles and taking them to a shop. I will need to upgrade axleshafts, bearings, the works. So, I am looking for 1-ton axles to swap in under the Bronco, at least the front. I like the Ford 9" rearend, so I will prolly get a spool for it. THinking back, I feel that a straight axle swap (SAS) would have been "money well spent" in the first place, cause that's what I want to eventually go for. It has just taken a looooooong time to find an axle that i want to get. It might be another year or two before I actually do the SAS, and I could not stand being stock-height!!! B)
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 GotLift

GotLift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

Just called Summit. They quoted a 6" lift with drop pitman arm, rear spring pack (no blocks), and 6 shocks for $1184 + $18 shipping. Not bad! I forgot to ask the guy if that included the extended radius arms but I assume that it does. What is the use of a 6" lift without them? It doesn't seem like you could set up the camber. I did call back and talk to another guy that didn't seem to know much. He said that he didn't have a parts list that described the kit, so he didn't know if it came with them or not. Good salesman huh?
Anyway, I was in the ballpark with my estimate.

#4 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:58 AM

I try to talk to Marcos at Summit Racing whenever I call for parts. You will definitely want the extended radius arms for the 6" kit, so check the part number they gave you from SkyJ or Superlift. Without the longer arms, it is near impossible to get the right caster as well as camber.

You're doing what I did before buying the lift kit-research, research, research!!! I asked lots of ?s to several folks on what brand they had, the common problems, etc. I was also saving up the $$$ while getting info.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.

#5 GotLift

GotLift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:00 PM

I would like to do the SAS as well but $$$$ doesn't permit it. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the TTB considering that it will be my daily driver and not a full on off roader. Maybe some day.

I'm bummed! The guy that was supposed to look at my bike today never called. I hate being at the mercy of the buyer. I pretty much planned my entire day around it and the assclown never called. OH well, It's springtime so I'm sure it will sell soon.

#6 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:12 PM

I thought what you are thinking about the SAS. IF you can find a complete donor front axle (Dana44 or D60) for under $500, the price of the swap will be close to what you pay for the TTB kit. You can spend $1700 on the SAS bracket kit from JBG, but alot of folks have saved most of that cost by finding the right pieces. Start doing some research on an SAS, beginning with FullSizeBronco.com. They have a complete forum section just for that. THe hard part will be finding an axle and not pay too much. Or you can do what I did, and go with the TTB lift for now. Most people will tell you to go SAS to begin with, and you will kick yourself for not considering it at least. My $0.02!!!

#7 GotLift

GotLift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:20 PM

DAMMIT! :(( Thanks man, that's all I need is more decisions! :D

OK, I'll check it out. I thought that doing the swap would be complicated. Do the parts for the swap bolt on or weld on? If I do the swap, which lift application would I be looking for? F-150? Thanks for the information.

#8 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

I know it makes things tough when you have to consider an SAS instead of a simple lift kit, but if I'm spending your money I want you to know what you're getting into. That way, you won't think I screwed you , like some shops will do.

Some parts will need to be welded on, like the radius arm brackets and such, but that's the case even with the TTB lift. Believe me, I searched the SAS thing as well as the TTB lift for about a year, so the SkyJ kit was not bought "in haste".

My plans are to race and run my Bronco in competitions, but these are very hard on stock parts. I think if you just take an occaisional trip to the trails now and then, and don't push the Bronco to the limit, the 6" TTB lift will prolly be fine. One of my friends that owns a 4x4 shop in Houston told me the same thing, that as long as I don't run the BAJA 1000, I will be fine.

I may leave the 84 Bronco as it is, and modify the 88 Bronc frame for running the BAJA 1000. It just depends on what your plans are for your Bronco, but lifting a straight axle is going to be easier and cheaper, and you can go higher/taller tires than with the TTB. My plans will also change depending on whether I can find a D44, D60, or a GM 14 bolt axle. They already changed when i found the 88 for $300!!!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users