Funky Ignition Issue

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_golfNski_*

Guest_golfNski_*

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

I've got an 84 Bronco and lately I've had my battery and igntion act really strange. I'll jump in and start it then drive 10 miles or so then turn it off and retun to the vehicle within 10 min and after I turn the key it will try to turn over but won't. I noticed the leads to the battery were pretty coroded so I got a wire brush and gave them a real strong once over and put them back on the battery. I thought all was fine then I replicated the same driving pattern and had the same result, ending up needing a jump to get back home. When I try to turn it over and it won't the battery gage reads 16V which tells me the battery seems fine but it won't turn over.

Any ideas are much appreciated.
Thanks
-=C

#2 indoz

indoz

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:53 AM

Firstly, check the cable connection on the starter motor, then check the starter solenoid/relay. If that doesn't help then maybe your engine is overheating or your timing is out .hope this helps.
Henk from Oz

#3 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:22 AM

You also might want to check the relays on the driver's side wheel well under the hood, there should be 5 or 6, for corrosion in the plugs. I had the same problem with my 90 and it ended up being a relay there.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#4 Guest_golfNski_*

Guest_golfNski_*

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:29 AM

I wired brushed the terminals again and really clamped the leads back on tight.
I also reseated that relay behind the wheel, under the hood and that had allot of dust and crap in there so after all that she started up really quickly. I cycled the start several times and each time she roared right up. I took her for a spin, turned it off and back on and recieved the same strong start so hopefuly we're back in action.

Thanks for the input.

- Golf And Ski baby

#5 Guest_Saint351_*

Guest_Saint351_*

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:56 AM

I have had this problem before. I took my bronco to the local parts store and had them check my starting system. They told me that the battery was not taking a charge. The man said that It was either my voltage regulator or my alternator. Knowing that I had a new Voltage regulator installed weeks before I bought the bronco I tried the alternator and that cured my problem.

I however hate electrical problems because of a incident with a 91 Hyundai and I try as much as possible to never screw with electronics without somewon who knows more then me around.

Saint 351

#6 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:04 AM

I had the same problem about a week ago. I just cleaned all connections. Then it was fine until the other day the alt. went out. I changed it out and everything is running fine now.
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#7 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

Glad to see that she is working fine now.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#8 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

Also check the water level in the battery. It could be low and not wanting to charge well. I also had a battery that broke a plate inside. It would drain down the battery and give simular symptoms you have. Get an Optima battery as they are gell cells and will give better performance for a longer time.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#9 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:03 AM

I purchased a optima the day I bought my Bronco. I love them. Hell when my alt. went out I drove to work and home then to the part store to get the alt and back and still had juice to start. I will never buy another type of battery.
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#10 bluesman17

bluesman17

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

red top or yellow top?

#11 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:07 PM

Its a red top I got a friend that can get me them cheap sometimes. Here is a pic

Attached Thumbnails

• battery.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users