Dripage

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brenden84_*

Guest_brenden84_*

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

hey guys, everytime i drive for a little while i get a little bit of what looks like oil dripping out from my engine onto the ground. its dark but im not sure if its tranny fluid or not. its not really red. i dunno. any ideas?

thanks-brenden

#2 grande_guerre

grande_guerre

grande mondiale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Broncos (of course), loud speakers, snowboarding, guitar, cars in general

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

smell it. tranny fluid smells sweeter compared to oil. If you can't tell the difference, bust out a bottle of oil and tranny fluid and compare them to your mystery fluid.

#3 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:14 AM

Even easier, pull the dip stick on both the tranny and motor. Smell them both then smell your mystery oil. If it is "Black" chances are it is motor oil, tranny fluid will have a bit of a redish tint to it, even if it is burnt.

If it doesn't smell like either one of them then you need to check your front & rear axles for leaks.
When is the last time you changed your motor oil? If it is black and smells burnt, then you need to change it. Should be changed every 3K miles.
If you it is motor oil then you might want to try a "High Mileage" motor oil, that will help slow down your leak.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#4 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

Front end and rearend oil has a real pungent smell unlike the tranny and engine. It is almost a gagging smell. If that is it you probably have a seal replacement in your future. Ofcourse the others might call for a gasket change or bolt tightening.

Good Luck :)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#5 Guest_brenden84_*

Guest_brenden84_*

Posted 23 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the advice. i'll do that.

brenden

#6 Guest_404PageNotFound_*

Guest_404PageNotFound_*

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

if you have'nt changed your oil in your engine yet, dont. get a can of stop leak stuff and run it for a few hundred miles. Then change oil and that should stop the oil leak (it worked for me). It'll limit out the possibilities of whats leaking if the stop leak trick doesnt work (unless your gaskets are truly truly shot)

#7 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

If the problem is seals, the stop leak route will prolong the inevitable. It may delay the need to change the seals a year or so but it it is seals they will have to be replaced sooner or later. Stopleak might make it a little later. stopleak causes the seal material to swell up but they will eventually have to be replaced.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#8 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:23 PM

also check for hydralic fluid, like break, power steering, and clutch fluid. this could be the culprit. I hope it isnt though, they can be difficult to fix.

#9 Guest_brenden84_*

Guest_brenden84_*

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

thanks for all the great advice guys
peace-brenden

#10 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:30 AM

You can also buy dye additives at auto parts stores that are different colors for different leaks ie. Trans=blue, engine oil=green, PS fluid=purple. Just add the stuff, run for a while, park and put a piece of card board under your leak, compare colors.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users