12 replies to this topic

#1 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

When I bought this Truck, the rear window worked fine. then one day it would not go up(Ford really screwed us here). So I go through the next to impossible task of removing the window, so I could get to the motor. I checked DC, 13.8 volts down, closed the gate, 13.8 up.... bad motor right? Wrong! New motor , same problem.

Let me add this in... If your window gets stuck down, and you have to remove the window to get to the motor. Get someone to hold the regulator arms down while you unbolt the motor. It took 18 stitches, and a week of pain killers to learn that lesson.

So I connected both motors to my mustang, both work fine. Someone told me that the dash switch could be bad, because this is where the motor gets it's ground from.....WRONG($175+$36 now). New lesson though... the passengers side motor of the Mustang('89) is identical to the Bronco rear.

The window is not binding, I have it in now ...I just push it up and down by hand, but would really like to have the power back.

I have checked all switches, even the continuity switch that won't let you roll the window up if the gate is open. The key switch passes power, but the motor still don't work.

I have noticed that almost every parts supplier for big Broncos carries a replacement wiring harness for the rear gate. Is there a problem with the old harness to where it supplies voltage, but not enough amperage to operate the motor? Is there a fusable link in the harness that could be weak, but not blown?

Any input would be appreciated, I am almost at my wits end on this one.

I stole this '89 EB Bronco for $800, 351HO EFI, 3 speed auto, Traction Lock rear(front diff is open..3WD), not even a hint of rust anywhere, Interior perfect, Power everything. The only thing I have done to date is a full tuneup, and replace the fuel pressure regulator. She runs great and has power to spare.

Sorry I can't send a pic...file too big. will try to fix.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#2 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

If this works, here's the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bronco3.jpg

1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

:(( OK here it goes again, I just tried to post and it got lost.

Have you tried checking the connectors between your tailgate motor and the fuse? I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a corroded wire that pulled out when I tugged on it. It was in a connector under the left side of the rear bumper. Corroded wires and connectors are a common problem with the wether exposed components. Also get some dialectric grease and pull the connectors apart, clean them and add the grease to seal out moisture.

The best manual you can have for your truck is a Ford EVTM for the year and make of vehicle. I would suggest that you get ahold of a meter if you already don't have one and check bothe voltage at the motot and ground (find a good frame grounding spot).

Here is a list of the connectors from my EVTM (not the same year as yours). The one at the motor, then the Tail Gate Limit switch, then the tail gate key switch, C1907 (Behind LH rear light assembly)(I've seen these corroded and falling apart), C123 (LH side of frame at rear cross member)( the one that fell apart on me), C124 (Lower side left hand dash panel), Drivers Tail Gate window switch, C1960 (at fuse block), 25 A fuse (#14 in my truck).

I have also had the window key switch not work because I left the Driver Switch in the UP or Down position. However if neither works you have something bad in the path I described. Not sure if your connector #'s will be the same but the locations are the same, atleast near the tail gate which is most likely where you will find the problem.

Hope this helps, :)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, I may have missed the one by the bumper. Yes, I have a VOM , and I have good DC to the motor up and down. My guess is and Amperage problem.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#5 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

OOPS! there is also another fuse involved that is #12 on my truck #14 IS HOT ONLY IN ACCESSORY OR RUN,#12 is hotat all times, same connectors. From your response it looks like a grounding problem. I believe my problem was with the ground lead which is P/LG, I think P = pink and LG = light green (according to my EVTM).

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#6 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 04:59 AM

I had the same problem. When I first bought my Bronco it would roll down fine but up it would not really do it. I had to hold the botton for about 3 mins to just get it to start going up. Well one day it just desides to not go up at all. Well to make this a shorter story. I removed the windowand checked all the wires. I had power everywhere but it did not work. I found that the limit switch supplies the grond so I disconnected the plug and made a jumper and everything works fine now. The onlt thing is that it will roll up with the door open or closed but who would rool it up with the door open. I hope this helps you some.
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#7 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

I agree, the limit switch is a pain and often fails. I did the same thig with mine. Actualy it works to my advantage when doing rust or other maint inside the tail gate. I can raise it a little with the key and have access to the parts inside. :-"

#8 Guest_saleen49_*

Guest_saleen49_*

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

Mine stopped working too, there is a little switch built into the drivers side latch inside the gate, remove the inside panel and reach all the way to the out side of the window track, if you get a good amount of light inside you can see the white part of the swith, pull the black plug downward and unplug it, get some spaid connectors and a wire and make a jumper and plug it into the black plug, I scratched my head for hours trying to figure it out and it was the switch was sticking, this might be your problem too,

95 Bronco about to be for sale, Chicago area,

Attached Thumbnails

• MVC_029S.JPG

#9 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

That's some great advice and I will pass it on. The only thing I can add is that the wires can get pinched by the tailgate, and that is a common problem area on the drivers-side. I no longer have thaT DILEMMA BEING TOPLESS (darn caps button!)
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#10 Guest_Bronce George_*

Guest_Bronce George_*

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:29 PM

$800? Man thats a a deal/grand theft auto lol Didja get it fixed? Mine is screwed up I left down bout 3inchs and sum crack head tried to push it dwn and when I tried to raise it it sliped a lil then stoped could hear the motor runing but Id bet that lil plastic gear is striped out so far this will make all 3 motors Ive had to dig out and fix/replace.

#11 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

Big Broncos

Yeah Man ...It's fixed. I had some corroded connections in the rear quarter panel, that were allowing enough voltage to read, but not enough to operate the motor.

The truck runs great now, and was well maintained. Perfect interior, and not a tad of rust, but had sat for over a year, so I had to do a complete tune up, and work some bugs out. I bet the guy paid atleast $400 for the new tires he put on just to get it to sell. He thought it had no oil pressure, but the gauge was bad(45lbs@ idle, according to my Autometer gauge).

Not counting gas, I have less than $1100 invested. She is my daily driver, and pulls a loaded trailer all day, 6 days a week. I recently bought a wrecked '89 Mustang for an Mass Air Flow upgrade.

Check out this site, it may save you some money. I have done this to all my window motors, and they work great.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#12 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:56 PM

A freind of mine had a similar problem and just jumped the wiring direct for the window, sounds like a common fix. Glad you got er done!!!

So you are Happy with the Bronco??? GREAT!!! IT's really the ultimate vehicle, IMHO, but you have to try going topless at least once!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#13 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, she's topless atleast every other weekend. I have 16 year old twin girls, I have to take the top off! I made a drive on/off rig, so it's a 10 minute job I've done it so many times.

This is not my first Bronco though, I've had 3 others, a '76 half cap, '79, and an '85. Loved them all, and have always been diehard FORD. I am a Independant Lineman, and carry some really expensive equipment, the Bronco is a more secure vehicle, than a truck with a cap.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users