Tailgate Latch Problem

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Smallp_*

Guest_Smallp_*

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:54 PM

I need a new set of tailgate latches for my '78 or a way to repair them. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Guest_broncoshell_*

Guest_broncoshell_*

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

WELCOME TO THE ZONE!!!! YOU NEED TO CHECK WWW.BRONCOGRAVEYARD.COM THERE YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED AT A GOOD PRICE... GOOD LUCK!!!

#3 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:39 PM

I had a problem w/ mine but i fixed it, the latch connects to a hole in somethin and it came out so I JB welded it back

Hope this helps
http://ftw.truckmoxi...asp?album=31295

#4 Guest_BigNasty_*

Guest_BigNasty_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

I have an 82 bronco that recently had an issue with opening..
The latch system in it uses nylon rod bushings in the mechanism. Over time, nylon becomes brittle and chips away or just falls completely apart, making the play in the latches themselves excessive enough so that the gate will not open.
Its an easy and cheap fix if that's what is happening with yours.

#5 Guest_Smallp_*

Guest_Smallp_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:33 PM

Just heard back from JBG and no good, the latches are no longer available. The problem with mine is that the hole for the pivot point in the right side latch has wallowed out and the jaws are loose plus both sides appear to have some wear that has increased the clearance so niether side "grips" the striker like they should. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming if any of you are\have experienced the same issue.
Has anybody modified later model latches for the earlier model Bronco?

#6 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

I jb welded mine when i had that prob..look at the pics

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users