79' Bronco

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tinman_775_*

Guest_tinman_775_*

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:32 PM

Does anyone know if the brake warning light switch on top of the brake proportioning valve is supposed to have brake fluid coming thru it. I have brake fluid leaking out of mine and I don't know if I need a new switch or if mine is just not connected right. If anyone knows please help!!!!

#2 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:32 AM

You should not have any brake fluid coming out of the switch. Are sure it's coming from the switch and not from a line that has rusted through, loose or cracked? Check your master cylinder as fluid will run down the line to the lowest point and "puddle". Investigate and locate true source of leak and fix or repair ASAP. I don't think you can replace just the switch if that is what is leaking. You will have to replace the proportioning valve, which will run you about $75.00 - $100.00. Make sure you bleed the system when you are done with the repairs to remove air that may have entered the system. ;)

#3 BlackFord77

BlackFord77

BlackFordTruck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

I also guess that it's possible for a switch to rust at its threads over time, and yes you must replace the whole valve unless it's a leaky line. Start the truck (power brakes only) and have someone sit inside. Get a rag and wipe the fluid off totally. Then tell them to step the pedal down (make sure there's fluid in first) while you watch---- see for yourself where it's coming from. I hope it's just a line, for your wallets sake.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users