Floor Pans!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonehead

Bonehead

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:51 PM

Hey guys Got started on the 76er with the dash removal, it went smoother than I thought, but one thing does lead to another and well now I have the windsheild off installing new glass ,heater assy out for new seals,ductwork...floorpans have been cut out My question is can I install new pans over the old Pans considering whats left, or is better to cut old out and then install new.Also would like to know will it be best to mig the metal back in or should I invest in a spot welder.Thanks Bonehead

#2 bluesman17

bluesman17

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

Cut the rust out, rust spreads fast and hard. Id mig it personally.

#3 STLKIKN

STLKIKN

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:EBs, EBs, Boobies... you know, all the important things in life!

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

If you own the mig,check into buying the spot weld tip for it...
Doing a resto it will come in handy.

#4 Guest_Toby the Dancing Bronco_*

Guest_Toby the Dancing Bronco_*

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:32 AM

I had bad rust right under the pedals on my 74. I ordered the drivers side pan from Duff. It had no ribbing. I cut out the rust and covered the rest with Rust-mort, which oxidizes the rust and seals the metal. I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the two pans. It has been in place for about 7 years and has had no problems due to body flex or the elements. Hope that helps. have fun!

#5 johnny reb

johnny reb

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

I had bad rust right under the pedals on my 74. I ordered the drivers side pan from Duff. It had no ribbing. I cut out the rust and covered the rest with Rust-mort, which oxidizes the rust and seals the metal. I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the two pans. It has been in place for about 7 years and has had no problems due to body flex or the elements. Hope that helps. have fun!

BEFORE-you replace the floor pans. Find out where the water came in to cause the damage. On my 78 bronco. I found out that where the water enters around the wiper blade area-it flows down and has very small holes to drain out--getting stopped up real easy. What I done was drille holes in the oval are on the bottow--behind the front wheels. Then I went and at the seam behind the tire area where the outside faces the tire at the seam where the goes across. Seal it. Now I do not have water coming in.I used form a gasket.Been on about 5 years and still holding (sounds like the rabbit commercial) hahaha

#6 yangfeng

yangfeng

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the panels.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users