Carb And Other Info

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JeepComa_*

Guest_JeepComa_*

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:39 PM

Just picked up an '84 Bronco II today, it's got the 2.8L V6, 5sp 4x4. I haven't had the chance yet to go over the car, so I have no idea what's under there. Ford isn't really my thing, so I don't know a lot about what components they used. My bro's got an '89 5.0 Mustang so I have some experience with that config, and my '73 AMC Javelin had a Ford 2bbl carb, and I've fooled around with the Ford distributors before, but that's about as far as my Ford specific knowledge goes.

It's running pretty well, but I'd like to give it a full tuneup because that's the sort of thing I do. I plan on checking/adjusting the timing, idle mixture, cold idle and warm idle, and a compression check. Can anyone tell me the specs for these settings? I'll set timing to the factory setting then start advancing it degree by degree to get the most advance I can without pinging. Will I benefit from a recurve kit or is the factory curve decent? Idle mixture by the lean drop method should be easy enough, what are the cold idle and warm idle RPM settings? My guess is 1200 and 900 RPM? What should I get for PSI ratings? And what's the CR while I'm at it? Somewhere around 8.4:1?

Any tips or anything to look out for? I haven't found a website with this kind of info yet, some links would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, what are the stock gear ratios for the tranny and differential? Not sure if it's a lockup or not, I'll have to crawl under there and look at what's stamped.

Thanks for the help.

#2 Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:52 PM

Best thing would be to buy a manual (Haynes, Chiltons, Clymer, Helm, factory shop manual, etc.) and go from there.

The carb is an electronic feedback version of the Motorcraft 2150 2-barrel, with a (factory-bastardized) TFI/EEC-IV ignition. Very important to go by the manual when making adjustments, because the EEC-IV system will try to compensate for most adjustments you try to make (with often frustrating results..........) Since you have a manual tranny, you may want to ditch the electronic carb, TFI distributor, and the EEC-IV computer in favour of the older (but more reliable/easier to work with) Duraspark ignition from a 2.8 powered Pinto or Mustang II.

The tranny is probably a Toyo/Kogyo 5-speed (identified by having a flat, ribbed bottom plate canted slightly to one side), which has a 3.96:1 first gear, 1:1 4th gear, and a .86:1 overdrive (5th) gear. (My personal favourite of the Ranger/BII trannies)

The diff. ratio should be listed on the rear diff tag, and is probably 3.73 (although 3.45 and 4.10 were also available), and an "L" between the first and second digits of the ratio will indicate a Trak/Lok. A front Trak/Lok is rare but possible.

Much as it pains me to direct anyone there, www.therangerstation.com has a good tech library for Ranger-based vehicles

#3 83Ranger4x4

83Ranger4x4

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:working on my Ranger and Broncoll...Trail riding.. mudslingin' with my 1990 Jeep Cherokee-Got Mud?

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:06 PM

Best thing would be to buy a manual (Haynes, Chiltons, Clymer, Helm, factory shop manual, etc.) and go from there.

The carb is an electronic feedback version of the Motorcraft 2150 2-barrel, with a (factory-bastardized) TFI/EEC-IV ignition.  Very important to go by the manual when making adjustments, because the EEC-IV system will try to compensate for most adjustments you try to make (with often frustrating results..........) Since you have a manual tranny, you may want to ditch the electronic carb, TFI distributor, and the EEC-IV computer in favour of the older (but more reliable/easier to work with) Duraspark ignition from a 2.8 powered Pinto or Mustang II.

The tranny is probably a Toyo/Kogyo 5-speed (identified by having a flat, ribbed bottom plate canted slightly to one side), which has a 3.96:1 first gear, 1:1 4th gear, and a .86:1 overdrive (5th) gear.  (My personal favourite of the Ranger/BII trannies)

The diff. ratio should be listed on the rear diff tag, and is probably 3.73 (although 3.45 and 4.10 were also available), and an "L" between the first and second digits of the ratio will indicate a Trak/Lok.  A front Trak/Lok is rare but possible.

Much as it pains me to direct anyone there, www.therangerstation.com has a good tech library for Ranger-based vehicles

View Post

:D/ Hey jeepcoma, I have a 84 broncoll 5-speed and a 83 ranger automatic...I'm taking out the engine of my broncoll and putting it into my ranger. You'll be happy with your broncoll..I rebuilt my front end and haven't had any problems with it. Ithe motor in my ranger suddenly got a hole in the block and I love my pick up so, the broncoll has to die until I can rebuild a motor for it.. I would definatley buy a Hyes or Chilton manual for it..They're worth their weight in gold when it comes to these vehicles.. Good luck.
1983 Ford Ranger 4x4 and a 1984 Ford Bronco ll 4x4

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users