9 replies to this topic

#1 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

on a 4" lifted bronco wuold the degree of c bushings change depending what drop brackets used? i see some basic lifts that dont use drop brackets. would a bronco with no drop brackets use the same degree bushings as one with 3" drop brackets if they were both lifted 4" ? for a 4" lift would 4" drop brackets bind less than the shorter 3" ? thanks

#2 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:52 AM

No, you wouldn't need any degree C-Bushings if drop brackets are used.
If no drop is used with 4" lift is usually around 6-7 deg bushings.
The drop brackets only get hung up on the trails. b-( If you need flex, try rubber mounts at the frame end. ;)
Wheel it like you stole it!

#3 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:57 AM

if no drop brackets are used then wont the frame end of the radius arm bind sooner? they will already be drooping at ride hieght. wuoldnt this result in less flex? are drop brackets only to be used in combination with degree bushing for tall lifts? my 79 has a 3" rancho lift with drop brackets....what are the pros and cons of them?

#4 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, 4"+ lifts should have drop brackets, anything below really don't need them.

I run the rubber mounts on the frame end because they allow way more movement than a poly bushing. They are pinched on the bottom but has lots of down travel left. See below photo of my 68 same idea in the suspension but I run a wristed radius arm to allow more flex. Takes the bind out of the c-bushings so the suspension works independently of each side.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bronco_Stump.jpg

#5 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:14 AM

what would a desirable 6" kit come with using the stock arms then? i dont understand why my 3" lift would have drop brackets if theyre not required. would there be 0 degree bushings in it then?

#6 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

so 4"+ meaning running superflex 4" coils whats the best drop bracket/degree combo?

#7 texan79&96

texan79&96

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

sorry to ask so many questions but are you running a bushing aor anything in the wristed arm? most of them i see dont....would that wallow out the hole and cause lots of play? wouldnt you want a sleeve or bearing that could be replaced? how is your wristed arm set up? thanks

#8 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

Usually with drop brackets, angled c-bushings are not needed.
a 3" lift can use drop brackets but is not necessary if the correct degree c-bushings are used. If you don't care about ground clearance keep them on. If you want clearance like I do keep them off and change the c-bushings.
Its all preference on small lifts.

The wristed arm uses a 3/4" bolt. I've ran this arm for 5 years with no visible signs of wear.
A few other guys came out with a wristed arm with a bearing but mud and dirt wore them out. If mine wears out someday I'll drill it out and go with a 7/8 bolt.
The rear bolt keeps it solid (no movement) so you can drive around town like stock arms. This helps increase the life. Some arms do not have this option and are only wristed and not able to drive on the road well (leans around corners).
Here's photo of it... :blush:

Attached Thumbnails

• Radius_Arm.jpg

#9 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:46 PM

Oops! Wrong radius arm photo. b-(
This is mine installed with the shock connected to the 3/4" bolt. I drilled and tapped the head of the 3/4" bolt and inserted a 1/2" stud so I can have the shock lower for more up travel. Otherwise those long 15" throw shocks would bottom out. They extend 35" and I use it all.

Here's a better photo...

Attached Thumbnails

• radius_arm1.jpg

#10 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:50 PM

Forgot to mention, the plus side of the drop mounts is it fixes coil bow.
The more your radius arm angle downwards the more coil bow you will have.
You can see how much I have. @-)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users