Spools Front And Rear

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JLarsh_*

Guest_JLarsh_*

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:57 PM

I HAVE A D60 FRONT AND REAR BUT I AM NOT FINANCIALLY READY FOR THE REBUILD OF THESE AXLES. MY 79 BRONCO HAS THE USUAL 9'' AND D44,6'' LIFT,35'' GOODYEAR MTR'S AND A 400M BORED .030 OVER WITH A CAM AND EDELBROCK CARB AND INTAKE. I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE PEG LEG ACTION ANYMORE. IALSO CAN'T JUSTIFY SPENDING THE MONEY ON LOCKERS FOR THE 1/2 GEAR AND THE 1TON GEAR AS WELL. I DRIVE ABOUT 100 MILES A WEEK ON PAVEMENT IF NOT LESS. WILL THE SPOOLS WORK OR WHAT, WHAT ARE THE UPS AND DOWNS OF SPOOLS. ANY RESPONSE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATTED. ALSO IN THE WINTER WOULD IT BE OKAY TO DRIVE ON THE STREET WITH ONLY ONE HUB LOCKED IF I HAD A SPOOL IN THE FRONT.

#2 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:05 AM

I would not put the spools in it. You can reman the factory limited slip rear for about $200 or less depending on how bad it is. Front spools are a very BAD idea, if you have to do something put a limited slip in the front. Driving with the hubs locked ( in 2wd) will not hurt it, just make sure the diff fluid is full and good. I did that for 3 years when I lived in Alaska.
GOT MUD?

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:20 PM

don't put one in the front unless you want TREMENDOUS torque steer

#4 STLKIKN

STLKIKN

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:EBs, EBs, Boobies... you know, all the important things in life!

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

A front spool will be virtually impossible to drive in the dirt, let alone on the street.
A detroit locker in the front can be hard to drive on the trails, and it has some forgiveness in the fact that it will ratchet to allow for SOME differential action.

A rear spool is more forgiving when street driven, although it can/ will tear the crap out of your tires, even at the 100 miles /week that you street drive the truck.
I would NOT recommend a spool for winter driving, it will turn the back end of your truck into a curling rock on snow and ice.

#5 Billz4x4z

Billz4x4z

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Trucks,4 Wheelin,Workin on Stuff,campin,the outdoors,NASCAR,meetin new people to go wheelin with,Truck shows family time

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:21 PM

hmmmmm spools on the street not good period.....
If ya don't get hung up once in a while your not wheelin hard enough
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 dicain

dicain

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

if you want to drive staight every time you put it four wheel drive, wear tires out faster, as spools might save money over limited slips and lockers. They break and wear out every other part of your rig.

#7 79xltbogger

79xltbogger

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

I hear the spools give you uneven wear on the outside of the tire, personally i wouldnt do it.

#8 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

i agree it's a bad idea they would work great in a straight line but turning is insane.
i lincoln locked both before in an old 1/2 ton beater i had and it was pretty bad driving on the gravel much less the pavement.it'll bust axle joints to hell too

#9 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:20 PM

I agree with everyone else, a spool in the front axle is a bad idea fora daily driver/trail rig. I would not spool the rear axle either if you do any street driving at all. I've looked at the pros and cons and may spool the 9" rear on my Bronco, but it will be used strictly for mud drags after that.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users