11 replies to this topic

#1 mule 79

mule 79

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

i need help please, i have a 1979 f150 flare side with a straght 6 when you drive over 30 mph it shakes so violently that you cant use the brakes and can hardly steer. ihave replaced wheel bearings and trak bar bushings. i was wondering if it might be the draglink or ball joints. it all so has a leaking steering box please help me

#2 Shlep

Shlep

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Ok first thing you do is check all your front end components and see if you have anything worn or loose, then check your steering shock and see if it's ok, then finally swap your tires from front to back and see how it is then.. let us know how you make out.

#3 jake_262

jake_262

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

I had a 75 that would do the same thing, on that truck it had bearings on top and bottom of the knuckle for steering, on yours you have a ball joint, but I amgine if they are warn out enough they would do the same thing. you should be able to buy them at any parts store, and you can take the knuckles to any mechine shop and have the new ball joints pressed in. but its a little tricky to reinstall the knuckle once you have the new ball joints back in, because you have a new screw in pressure thing (I don't know the proper name for it) on the top of the "c" on the axle that the knuckle fits over, that you gatta get in at the right depth so that it puts the right amount of pressure on the bottom of the "c" as there is on the top. The way I did it on mine was I screwed it in so that it looked like it was in as deep as the old one, then put the knuckle on tighted both top and bottom ball joints pretty tight, then turned the knuckle. if the bottom nut and joint shaft turns together then your fine, but if you turn the knuckle and the bottom nut and joint shaft don't turn together then you gatta screw the "pressure thing" down a little till they do. its better to screw the "pressure thing" in a little higher than the old one at first so that threw trial and error you can make sure that both ball joint shafts are turning with the knuckle. Anyway I hope this little bit of info helps.

i need help please, i have a 1979 f150 flare side with a straght 6 when you drive over 30 mph it shakes so violently that you cant use the brakes and can hardly steer. ihave replaced wheel bearings and trak bar bushings. i was wondering if it might be the draglink or ball joints. it all so has a leaking steering box please help me

View Post

#4 mule 79

mule 79

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

today i just bought ball joints and im almost ready to put them on but i cant get the spindle and dust sheild off what do i do

#5 jake_262

jake_262

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

are they rusted into place? If you got all five bolts off then you should be able to whack it with a 2x4 a couple times, don't use a hammer or anything metal.

today i just bought ball joints and im almost ready to put them on but i cant get the spindle and dust sheild off what do i do

View Post

#6 moondog2018

moondog2018

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Could the vibration also be from bad u-joints on your Drive Shaft?

#7 junkman123

junkman123

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

#8 junkman123

junkman123

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

#9 junkman123

junkman123

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

check the steering joints. steering shaft has that little u joint, people don't ever think of those but they'll do that.

#10 TSboomer11786

TSboomer11786

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

I had my 75 do that too!!!I dont remember what it was but right above the tire on drivers side it was a bracket that was cracked and I welded it back together and it fixed the problem I will look on my truck tomor and let u know where it exactly was cuz mines and f100

#11 Mike R

Mike R

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

I have had my share of old 4x4's fords and chevy's and any time I had that kind of vibrations it was always the "U" joints.
Good luck. Mike

#12 kenworthw9a

kenworthw9a

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Track Bar bolts and bushings

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users